Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maximum number of apps on iphone? (home screens not memory)

Is there a maximum number of apps that the iphone can install? I'm not referring to available memory, but actual space where they "live" in the phone. In other words, you can fill up to 7 pages, or however many pages, of icons. So if I have more apps purchased & downloaded from the app store than the 7 page capacity, will they install? If so, where? Are the apps accessible any where else within the phone other than the home screens?

Dell XPS, Windows Vista

Posted on Jul 18, 2008 11:46 AM

32 replies

Jul 19, 2008 6:28 AM in response to Gerald Edgar

You can download more than 129 apps to your computer, and then in the iPhone Sync settings select which ones you want to actually sync. So you could switch a selection of games in and out, or something.

No clue how the phone itself handles it.

There's a point at which you'll spend more time looking for apps than using them, though. 🙂

Jul 19, 2008 6:21 PM in response to Yuusharo

Yeah, it is a lot. I have a good number of webpps too, I'll delete those icons and use bookmarks to clear home screen space. I know at some point it will be an issue, not just for me but a lot of people. Switching them out is not a huge deal, just wondering. The apps are so good it won't take long to acquire enough to fill the spaces to the max. I just thought if I had plenty of memory they could all be installed, but it doesn't look like it.

Jul 24, 2008 11:30 AM in response to stephb1

Well I've tested this out, and there is a limit, and it ***** - dino balls.
Only 9 pages will fill up, as mentioned. When you add more via iTunes, it just doesn't show up on Springboard, so you can't use them.
Also, it's all downhill from there. If you happen to reboot your phone with more than 9 pages of apps OR webclips, you will be stuck at the apple logo - forever!
A restore & re-install (with less apps) will fix it up, but that's a pain.
If you've jailbroken your phone, and have ssh installed (and running), you can get to the apps directory and drag the extra apps out, and use terminal to do a clean reboot.
Or if you're patient enough iTunes 'might' see the 'stuck at apple logo' phone in-between the Springboard kernel panics & restarts, and you can de-select some apps & re-sync.

All & all pretty shoddy. I don't care about the 'why so many apps' question - it's irrelevant. What if it was just 2 pages of apps & the rest webclips? This is definitely a problem that Apple should look into & fix.
What if your Mac had a 500gig hard drive, but as soon as you install more that 80 apps it won't boot up anymore? Crazy.

Common Apple, you give us the world sexiest, smallest handheld computer, running an os based on 10.4.8 (oh and it can make calls too!), and you expect us not to use it to its full potential?

So in short, if you have more than 9 pages of apps and/or webclips, don't reboot your phone. It will be stuck at the apple logo (springboard is not loading).

Jul 24, 2008 11:36 AM in response to Daiya

Given that apps only reside on the home screen I guess you must be limited to the number of spaces you get with 9 screens x 16 spaces minus about 16 built-in apps that you cannot delete. I make that 128 - 130.

Of course Apple may make more home screens available in a future update.

What I'd really like is an update or an app for a decent launcher with tabs and/or drop-down menus a la ZLauncher on the Palm...wish...wish...

Jul 24, 2008 9:11 PM in response to jrentzke

Thank you so much for the insight jrentzke! The plot thickens, I suspect my phone was maybe frozen-the first time when they replaced my phone- for the same reason as yours, not enough homepage real estate. I had a lot of web apps, and deleted most of them before trying to install my apps on my replacement phone for the 2-100th time, even though I still had several pages available I still could not install most and my phone froze up horribly, for hours, until the battery went dead & even overnight!

I did originally post the question because of the apps/web apps combo. I have a lot of webapps I use daily, I guess the alternative is to bookmark them instead. But, with the number of free apps, and paid apps it won't take long to aquire over the limit.

I agree, it ** dino balls! You are correct, the question of "how many apps do you need" is irrelevant. If they offer them, we should be able to install as many as the iphone memory will hold! It is a huge oversight to only allow access to them on the home screen, ultimately limiting us to what we install-regardless of how many apps we acquire. I have a feeling it won't be long before more and more people ask about this, and are not happy with the answer. I really hope they update this feature!

Aug 7, 2008 6:31 PM in response to stephb1

This is a major problem. Someone please come up with a solution soon? I'm maxed out of space for icons, and I have 7GB left our of the 8GB total. Only letting us have 9 homepages is like programming and hardwiring the coices of an input to something like this " if page == 1 then do this, if page ==2 then do this, ..... if page == 9 then do this" I'm totally shocked, this is quite amazing for this product that I paid lots of money for. On the bright side, this can easily be patched, please patch this soon.

Maximum number of apps on iphone? (home screens not memory)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.