Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RTAS in Logic?

I'm pretty sure it's impossible, but I thought I'd ask anyway...

Is there anyway to get my RTAS plugins in Logic? Logic doesn't support VST cause maybe I could wrap them to VST and use them that way... I don't know... I like logic and pro tools and don't want to have to choose...

imac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Jul 20, 2008 10:04 AM

49 replies

Jul 27, 2008 6:51 AM in response to imnickb

Logic Support DAE TDM hardware...
if you have HD Accell you will be able to work with Protools hardware in Logic...
such As Digital performer...

But Logic support Pro Tools Hardware from long--- LONG TIME AGO...

Until Logic Audio 3!!!
in the 1994!!!! or '93...

More than 15 Years ago!!! (Logic was the PT killer and continue to kill it from 15 Years and future ways)

you just need to buy a Professional Digidesign Hardtware!!!

the RTAS is not a professional technology... Audio Units s thousands miles better!!

(RTAS works with PTLE... it is not professional)
(there are no reason to use RTAS plugs because Logic plugs and third party AU version are much better...)

G

(please don't talk me about horrendous bomb-fatctory.... Logic Pro plugins are professional!!!)

Jul 28, 2008 9:25 AM in response to Community User

I mean MOTU is advertising that they now support RTAS. Refer to my link in the last post.

I am a Logic TDM user since 1996, and realize that of course TDM support exists. But my reason for wanting RTAS support is that there are many plugins that only come in that format, or that I'd like to have, for instance, Guitar Rig on my TDM tracks as I'm tracking guitar parts. It's all about options.

I wouldn't say RTAS isn't a "pro" format because many professionals use it, making it by definition a pro option, as are all the other plugin formats. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Logic TDM got so bad that I abandoned it for a long time, but recently I've gotten back into it since 8.02 and OS 10.5.4 seem to be pretty stable now.

MOTU says they now support "use of RTAS plug-ins under DAE on post-TDM inserts" whatever that means. I would just be glad to use an RTAS plug at all. Digi doesn't lose anything by allowing 3rd party DAW's to use RTAS because you have to buy the latest version of Pro Tools software to keep up anyway.

Aug 8, 2008 5:02 PM in response to Gregg Sandheinrich

In Logic you can freeze the tracks... this allow you to freeing Cpu and UAD DSP power

In Protools you can't do that...
the only way to use more than 64 mono tracks is Buy additional expansive Digidesign DSPs Hardware! (that is why Protools doesn't have freeze function)

If you need to make a destructive ediding of a region you can use "expore region as audio files features!

logic is ... Simply the Best 😉

G

Aug 9, 2008 1:17 PM in response to Bzarry

I like too but...
it is not indispensable...
the difference on the final result is questionable and certainly subtle (especially to blindfolded)

The difference makes the man ...
The machine quality is an optional

I can obtain a great sound without spend so much money...
if i'm a good Sound Engeener!
I prefer the sound of a Pure Analog Hardware... I'm not so young
I just work with Studer, Neve, Trident, Ampex, Lexicon, and almost of hardware that now I use with UAD plugins!
I love to spend much money... it is one of my favorite sports 🙂

but...
Logic is the best!

Thanks

G

Aug 10, 2008 1:03 PM in response to Bzarry

Yes you are rigth...
why? (ask to Digidesign... They know the answer perfectly.. 😉 )

there are many great plugs that comes with version for RTAS (Protools LE not professional standard)... VST ... it is not so bad is a semi professional standard...

Final!!!

Audio Units plugins:
this is the Apple Industry Standard! IT IS professional!!! it is THE MOST ADVANCED
(so, don't cry for missing rtas plugs,,, they are obsolete!!!)

the only plugs that you cannot use are the "crap" RTAS Bomb-factory...

you don't loose any great plugins

All Pro Plugins are developed as Audio Units... or VST
the all others are a very low cost ... cheap... obsolete plugs!!!

this post should forward to digidesign forum...
the Title of the post is:

Why Digidesign don't make a Audio Unit version of their plugins?

I can only try to give you an answare about that... and it is only my personal opinion:

Digidesign don't make Audio Unit version because everyone would ear by themself the big difference in audio quality!

G

Aug 11, 2008 9:48 AM in response to imnickb

This has gotten way off topic.

There are plenty of RTAS plugins that sound as good or better than AU plugins. They are just different formats, none is inherently better than the other, and many plugins come in all formats and sound exactly the same regardless of RTAS, TDM, or AU.

There are some plugs that are RTAS only, and there are users who also run PT who already have RTAS plugins. There's not much point in trying to convince anyone that wanting to run RTAS is somehow pointless or worthless.

It would be great if Logic had full TDM/DAE/RTAS support, but they don't. They could, but I'm sure it would be a huge amount of work to do right, and frankly I'm not surprised they don't want to go to the trouble.

Aug 11, 2008 11:11 AM in response to Bee Jay

Not to be argumentative, but I would say that it's the same case exactly. Logic uses DAE to serve as a front end to TDM hardware. It's within this audio engine that RTAS plugins run. Logic's native engine is then streamed into DAE via DTDM channels.

I don't know how DP brings their native engine into DAE's. Probably a similar scheme.

As they are the only ones who offer RTAS support I was hoping someone familiar with their layout could chime in.

Call me a dreamer but I'm still hoping Logic will get RTAS support eventually. But maybe Apple won't miss the group of users who care enough about this issue to jump ship over to DP.

RTAS in Logic?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.