Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Date and time on my iPhone keeps changing to GMT or Cupertino time

Hi,

Somehow my date and time settings keeps changing to GMT/Cupertino despite setting it to Mumbai (India). Because of this all my alarms and calendar events have gone for a toss. I have changed the time to Mumbai multiple times, but it keeps switching back without event touching the phone. I even upgraded to 2.0.2 but the problem persists. Any idea what else can I do to get this working.

Thanks,
Avinash

Iphone, Windows XP

Posted on Aug 25, 2008 8:53 PM

64 replies

Aug 25, 2008 9:05 PM in response to avidamani

Is it phoning home? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

There are two places to check. First, go to "Settings, and then navigate to Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Select the local time zone in Calendar/Time Zone Support. Also click "on" Time Zone Support. Next, navigate to general and then select Date & Time and set to AUtomatic.

Aug 26, 2008 1:24 AM in response to Russa

🙂 I thought the same...
There is no setting in Date and Time to set it to automatic.
It has 3 options:
1) 24 hr time
2) Time Zone (which i keep setting to mumbai but it keeps chaging to etc/GMT)
3) Set Date & Time

I have changed the time and zone to mumbai sooo many times but it keeps changing automatically 😟

Aug 27, 2008 10:31 PM in response to avidamani

Hi Avinash,
This is sameer from Mumbai, I have similar problem with my Ipone 3G & I am using Vodafone as provider.

I have also search on the net to find solution for this problem.
yet i haven't updated my phone with 2.0.2 as in your case this problem is still not solved.

*_Also There is no setting in Date and Time to set it to automatic._*
I don't how come its missing in your case(or only problem with handsets in India)

I haven't tried talking with customer care at vodafone. That will be last option.
Which service your are using ?

I hope this problem will be fixed soon.

Regards,
Sam

Aug 28, 2008 12:51 AM in response to samv74

Ok, I see I've got company with the same problem. (and no I do NOT get "Automatic" in my Settings>General> Date & Time options too).

Hi, I'm Anupam from Bombay and I'm getting the same problem. I called Apple customer care for this problem and they have a recorded voice which says "call Vodafone". So I called Vodafone. As expected the first round of call centre execs told me to do what I've been doing 10 times everyday.

Then they put me through to their tech department which has taken my s/w version no and the ICC ID. They said they'll get back to me and I'm waiting.

I will surely get back to this forum with whatever answer I get.

Aug 28, 2008 3:18 AM in response to avidamani

Hi Anupam G,

Me to right now talked with Vodafone but they give me stupid answer
like set the region as 5.30 GMT and the problem will be resolved.

Now I have done one small change set the time to 24 hrs and past 1/2 hr

its showing me correct time. (I will post again if this will solve permanently)

Pls. post your feedback from Vodafone.

Regards,
Sam

Aug 28, 2008 8:27 AM in response to avidamani

I picked this up from another thread (I tried 2.0.1 and 2.02 upgrades too with no success). The following worked, though:

- Plug your iPhone into you Macbook / PC and allow iTunes to do a full backup (I had to right click the iphone icon and select backup).
- Right click your iPhone under DEVICES in iTunes and click on Restore. Choose the back up you have just made
- From within your iPhone, tap the Settings icon, choose General and then Date & Time. Choose Time Zone and change the time zone to your desired city.
- To test the change has worked, tap the Date & Time back arrow at the top left and then click on the home button. Finally, go back to the Time Zone option within Settings and the time zone should have stayed as the one you chose.

Note: Is your iPhone 3G’s GPS facility taking ages to pinpoint your location? The above changes will fix this problem as well

Aug 29, 2008 12:54 AM in response to redwindsor

@redwindsor - I landed up at that same page after googling and am a bit scared of trying this out.

@sam - Thanks! I'm not going to waste time at a Vodafone store then.

Basically, we're stuck until someone in Apple listens to us and tells Vodafone to do something about it or deals with it themselves.

It's quite ironical because the time is the most critical function. If it's wrong it's gonna disrupt everything from calendar to recents.

If anyone in Apple is listening - HELP!

Aug 29, 2008 1:12 AM in response to anupamg9

hi,
user from Mumbai.. and have the exact same problem.. been trying for the last few days and unable to find a solution.

Now i have kept my timezone as GMT and set it for the local mumbai time. This way atleast my calenders and local alarms / time is functioning.
Lost the feature of World clocks as they show incorrect times.
Have been on this setting since morning.. yet to see if it stays and works.

Lets see if this is atleast better than changing timezones every few hours.

Hope we see a permanent solution soon.

Date and time on my iPhone keeps changing to GMT or Cupertino time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.