Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 8.1 "Verifying iPod" bug?

Since 8.1 came out, pluggin in my IPod Touch results in iTunes freezing up and it unfreezes when it's unplugged. I left it plugged in anyway and after about 5 minutes iTunes unfroze and began "Verifying iPod." It takes way too long and no one is going to sit through this kind of delay every time you plug in your iPod. Is there any fix or workaround or explanation for this behaviour?

iPod Touch 2nd Generation, Windows Vista

Posted on Mar 24, 2009 6:49 AM

80 replies

Mar 24, 2009 7:46 AM in response to Sunshine_Dave

It doesn't really sound like an iTunes or touch problem. It sounds more like your PC is just busy with something else. Out of curiosity, how much ram and free disc space does your computer have? What other programs are running. You might want to shut down a few things and close out some of the stuff running in the background and then see if you have a problem.

Mar 24, 2009 9:45 AM in response to luvlabs

It's not my PC being busy - I thought of that and iTunes was the only thing running. It takes WAY too long to go through the process.

I did notice something different on my PC as far as the Vista drivers for the iPod iTouch -- I can now see the pictures folder for the iTouch from Explorer so there does seem to be direct access to the file space on it. My unit has not and never has been jailbroken, but maybe iTunes thinks it is?

Message was edited by: Sunshine_Dave

Mar 26, 2009 5:12 AM in response to thepachman

Mine is doing the same thing. The two weird things are:
1. it doesn't do it with my iPhone (3G 8GB), only iPod (5th Gen 30GB)
2. it just started doing it this morning, and I upgraded to 8.1 last week

My iPod seems to be working just fine, I just can't add anything to it. I thought it was because it was updating my Apple TV at the same time, but I unplugged the ATV, shut down all applications except iTunes, and it is still doing it. I let it sit for 45 minutes, and most of the time just had the spinning beachball while it said it was "Verifying iPod"

Mar 26, 2009 10:59 AM in response to ChrisMOW

I have this very same issue myself and I'm using iTunes version 8.1.0.52.

If I hook up my old iPod Video (5th Generation), everything runs fine. The moment I hook up my new iPod Touch (2nd Generation - Version 2.2.1), iTunes goes into this endless VERIFYING iPOD. Eventually, I have to end the process via the Task Manager because iTunes will be listed as NOT RESPONDING.

Has anyone found out why this is happening?

Mar 29, 2009 8:22 PM in response to Sunshine_Dave

Hello.
I am having the same problem with my son's ipod touch 2g. My computer recognizes it because the "download" screen pops up when I attach it through USB. iTunes will just freeze and when I press ctrl-alt-del it says "not responding".
I am NOT having the same problem with my iphone though.
I need to sync my movies for my son's ipod for our plane ride on tuesday - ugh!

Mar 31, 2009 1:12 AM in response to Sunshine_Dave

Same thing happens here on my husbands 32g iTouch. I've reinstalled iTunes, restored his computer to an earlier time, recovered the iTouch, etc, etc, etc.

I can get the iTouch to sync only after a complete recovery, and that's only if nothing's been added to iTunes in between the time the iPod was recovered and the next time it's plugged in. (basically just plugging into a USB port after recovery to see if it will get past "verifying (name's) iPod".) Once something has been added to iTunes, forget it... It freezes on 'verifying'.

By using the manual recovery, I've been able to get his latest content onto his iTouch, but what a process to go through to get the results that should be accomplished by a simple sync.

I'd be very anxious to hear if anyone finds/hears of a fix.

Good luck to all ~

Debrtino

Mar 31, 2009 5:14 PM in response to Debrtino

I'm having the same issue here with iTunes 8.1 and a 2G 32gb iPod touch. Most times I can get through the "verifying iPod" part but it takes forever. Then it syncs for a while (even though I have it set for manual sync) and then its OK. HOWEVER, after I move music to, it goes into "determining song volume" mode. Five minutes of this and iTunes is frozen and I have to Force Quit only to repeat the process all over again. Yay.

-What's up Apple?

iTunes 8.1 "Verifying iPod" bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.