Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unbelievable - New Mail sound still not working in Snow Leopard

The bug was in 10.5.x but it is still not fixed in Snow Leopard. When there is a new mail on an IMAP account there is no mail sound. Sound for incoming mails is selected (I can even hear it when I select it in the menu) and the volume of my Mac is on - but no sound.

iMac 24" Alu / MacBook 13" Alu / iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Aug 28, 2009 9:15 AM

115 replies

Aug 29, 2009 9:24 AM in response to Virgil Caine

I have never found anything to tell me whether this is intentional or a bug. I do know that in normal course the new email alert does not happen until a cycle of checking for new mail is completed, and furthermore that with the IDLE command in use, the messages in the IMAP account come not as a result of checking for new mail, but rather are Pushed. So there may simply be an inevitable disconnect.

Ernie

Aug 29, 2009 9:36 AM in response to Virgil Caine

Were you using Tiger or Leopard, formerly? The Mail in Tiger did not support the Use IDLE Command if support by the server, whereas both Mail 3.x and Mail 4.0 do. Check in Mail Preferences/Accounts/Advanced to see whether User IDLE is selected. If it is, and you have not needed it previously, Deselect it, and the alert sound should return.

Ernie

Unbelievable - New Mail sound still not working in Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.