Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Talk and iChat Snow Leapord

I am trying to find out if any other people can not longer video chat with a Jabber account using gmail account to anyone else that uses Google Talk. This set up worked fine before the upgrade to Snow Leapord and iChat 5.0

I have contacted Apple support and they will not offer support for setting up Google Talk.

I also have a Mobile Me account and still can not seem to video chat using a specific Apple test account.

So I looking for any help with that does use iChat and Google Talk

13" Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 5, 2009 9:21 PM

32 replies

Oct 6, 2009 2:39 PM in response to bplives

Hi,

I Updated from Leopard to Snow Leopard and my Google and other Jabber Accounts work.

I would set the iChat menu > Preferences > Video Section Bandwidth limit to 500kbps and start from there.
This is because iChat sees all your Connection Speed in Snow Leopard which may be a lot different from the cap caused by System Preferences > Quicktime > Streaming in Leopard or earlier.

User uploaded file

10:39 PM Tuesday; October 6, 2009

Oct 7, 2009 2:07 PM in response to bplives

Hi,

In iChat did you re-enter your Google Info ?

iChat will allow you to type @gmail.com and it will appear to Login even if your ID is @googlemail.com.
However iChat needs it to match the way your name appears on a Google Web page when you have logged in there.

Is the Talk Option Activated on your Google Account ?

Are you saying that even on the GoogleMail page you can not Video ?
This page has a Plugin listed to download if you have an Intel Mac (it is not shown if you are not an Intel based Processor).

User uploaded file

10:06 PM Wednesday; October 7, 2009

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

Oct 14, 2009 3:42 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

You're really patient, and I appreciate that.

Yes. I re-entered all information into iChat. Originally, my account was listed precisely as it is at the top of the page in gmail. After reading numerous messages in the Apple Help Forums, I experimented with switching it to googlemail.com. But it makes no difference. I have yet to be able to connect to GoogleTalk via iChat.

I can videochat through my Gmail inbox. But isn't the whole point of the compatibility thing meant to be that iChat will authenticate with gmail?

Oct 15, 2009 12:36 PM in response to janedark

Ok,

In iChat Menu Preferences > Accounts you are using the Plus Button to add an account ?
In that pop up that appears you are Choosing Google Talk ?
(It is in here you are entering your Googletalk name as it appears on the Google Web pages)

These are iChat 3 pics
http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=24076
In iChat 3 you had to choose Jabber and later change the Server Name to talk.google.com

Check the Server Setting tab
User uploaded file

And the settings there. If SSL is On it will/should list port 5223
If it is Off then port 5222

Of course if you are using Port Forwarding in your Routing device then these two ports plus 5220 need to be open.
UPnP will open the ports the app needs when the app needs them.

User uploaded file

8:36 PM Thursday; October 15, 2009

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

Oct 16, 2009 7:31 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm having the same problems and I hope I can add a little bit to the discussion. I followed all the steps you have outlined and I have the server setting screen looking just like the pic, then I go to switch from offline to available in ichat the server name automatically changes to gmail.com. If I then UNcheck the Automatically discover it will stay talk.google.com but I still have no video. The Port # changes between 5222 and 5223 as well. As a side note my wife bought a Macbook Pro the same day I got my iMac (about a month ago) and we CAN video talk to each other through iChat. Hopefully some of this info helps and I'm not intruding.

Matt

Oct 17, 2009 6:21 AM in response to gref21

Hi,

Welcome to the  Discussions

Googletalk is a Jabber Server - but did you add your Screen Name as a GoogleTalk or Jabber option when adding the account in either the Start Up Screens or the Add Account option in the iChat > Preferences > Accounts ?

I say this as because in iChat 3 upwards you add a Jabber ID with the @ suffix part like an Email address and the software pulls out that @servername.com bit and lists it as the Server in the Server Settings part.
This is why in iChat 3 you have to go back and change the Server Name.
In iChat 4 and 5 the GoogleTalk is a separate option and it has the Server name in iChat like it has the AIM one, but you could add it as a Jabber one and have the issue of the server name not sticking that you describe.

You do not say if the chat with your wife is using the Bonjour Buddy List, your GoogleTalk IDs or even and AIM login one so it is difficult to say if this part is relevant or not.

User uploaded file

2:21 PM Saturday; October 17, 2009

Oct 18, 2009 6:14 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Both my wife and I added our names as a Google talk account. Just to be sure I deleted it and redid it as a google account. When I chat with my wife we both use the iChat icon at the bottom and the window does say jabber list at the top and then my gmail address below that. Also when we got the computers they had leopard on them and I was able to see the video chat icons on the buddy list, only after installing snow leopard did it not work. I have installed all the plug-ins and can use it from the gmail website. I also just learned that the other people in my buddy list cannot see when Im on even though my status is available but if I initiate a chat we can chat (without video).

Oct 19, 2009 11:21 AM in response to gref21

Hi,

I have a GoogleMail ID that was already in iChat when I updated to Snow Leopard.

I have not had any problems with it and also, I have not tried adding a New Google Account/Screen Name since getting to Snow Leopard.

You could try the Server Setting in iChat Menu > Preferences > Accounts and when not logged in change to not using SSL (The port will change to 5222)
You could also try it with Auto discover Off.

User uploaded file

7:21 PM Monday; October 19, 2009

Oct 28, 2009 9:45 AM in response to bplives

I have been struggling with this exact same issue. my google buddies appear on my jabber list but it doesn't let me start a video chat with them. (it doesn't show they have the capability even though i know they do).

in addition, when i tried to video ichat with someone else who has ichat (they initiatied), they couldn't hear me. however, when we used gchat they could.

none of these problems appeared before i installed snow leopard.

Oct 28, 2009 1:47 PM in response to sbr929

Hi,

Welcome to the  Discussions

In iChat > Preferences > Video section Set the Bandwidth Limit drop down to 500kbps
This may help with the Audio issue with iChat Buddies.

Jabber Buddies not using iChat may not even be able to Video as very few Jabber Servers do this. (And they are working on their own Protocols called Jingle)
GoogleTalk is a Jabber server but have chosen their own method to do Video (not the same Codecs as iChat)
The Web Mail page chat option uses Flash. This seems to be compatible with the PC based Googletalk App (but not with iChat)

These maybe more readily found solutions

1. Alternatives to iChat but Video chatting In a Web Browser
  2. MeBeam. An option to use a Web site that create Private room for Video Chatting. Uses Flash to access your Camera and Mic.
  3. iVideoChat Similar setup but a somewhat corporate type look to the site. Has Public rooms as well. Again uses Flash.
  4. Googlemail/GoogeTalk now do a Version in a Web Browser

5. Tokbox A Site that can link your existing Buddy Lists that USes Flash to Video chat in a Browser.

From http://www.ralphjohns.co.uk/page5.html#_other

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

User uploaded file

8:47 PM Wednesday; October 28, 2009

Oct 30, 2009 12:36 PM in response to Kentzo

That is correct.

MSN, Yahoo, Googletalk,s Jingle implementation, Skype and the AIM/iChat Video chat methods all use different Video codecs. (These are the big 4 but there are others as well like iVisit, Gizmo5 and others)

In fact Google's version of the Jabber Jingle Protocol does not work with other Jabber servers running Jingle.

Several sites, listed above, use Flash and the Flash Plug-in for Web Browsers to enable Video chatting which essentially becomes Cross Platform.

User uploaded file

7:36 PM Friday; October 30, 2009

Google Talk and iChat Snow Leapord

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.