Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad vs Syncing Mail

I have been in computers a very long time (before Lisa time) and the transitions to today have been sometimes troublesome. I like the iPad but it also has been troublesome. The remaining problems for me is syncing mail and eBook readers. eBook is another time thing.

I wish to use Apple's Mail. Using iTune (9.1) and attempting to sync mail does not work. It, Sync Mail, simply is not selectable. Going to MobilMe doesn't seem to work either. The manual says iTune syncing mail, etc., will work but does not instruct what or how to do it if syncing mail does not function.

I have tried to set up a mail account on the iPad using my ISP mail account but that does not work either. The ISP does not recognize the input. There does not seem to be a location to insert my ISP IP addresses.

One other person seems to have an identical problem.

I realize this is a bit early but can anyone help?

Bud

Mac Book Pro and 7 Other Mac's, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 6:24 AM

37 replies

Apr 6, 2010 6:27 AM in response to Bud Willner

Bud Willner wrote:
I have tried to set up a mail account on the iPad using my ISP mail account but that does not work either. The ISP does not recognize the input. There does not seem to be a location to insert my ISP IP addresses.

Question - why do you need to enter an IP address for email - do you mean SMTP or POP3 server addresses ?

Could you tell us the name of the ISP in question please ?

Thanks

Apr 6, 2010 6:50 AM in response to Bud Willner

If you are using mobileme for you mail then you don't have to sync mail. Your computer and the iPad would be pulling mail from the same mobileme server. All you have to do is ensure that push is enabled on the iPad.

This is from the iPad Users Guide
"If you’re setting up a MobileMe or Microsoft Exchange account, tap the items you want to use on iPad—mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks (MobileMe only).
MobileMe includes the Find My iPad feature (not available in all regions) that helps you locate iPad if it’s been lost or stolen, and lets you remotely lock, or erase the information on iPad if necessary.
If you enable Find My iPad for your MobileMe account, make sure Push is turned on
for Fetch New Data. In Settings, choose “Mail, Contacts, Calendars” > Fetch New Data.
If Push is off, tap to turn it on."

Apr 6, 2010 7:38 AM in response to Bud Willner

You are correct in that DNS addresses are nothing to do with email per se but are used for redirection of http traffic i.e. web browsing mainly. So knowing the ISP DNS addresses is no practical use at all for email.

Interesting ISP though - an anagram of "stolen" but there you go.

The server details you need to set up the mail account on the iPhone is

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server is mail.ntelos.net
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server is mail.ntelos.net

Hope that helps

Apr 6, 2010 7:58 AM in response to Bud Willner

Email will not be synced via the iTunes sync process. There is a selection under the Info tab for your iPad sync preferences for email accounts- this transfers email account settings only from your Mac to your iPad.

With a POP account, email is not synced. New messages received at the incoming mail server are downloaded by the email client used to access the account.

With an IMAP account, all server stored mailboxes are kept synchronized with the server automatically with email client used to access the account. A MobileMe account is accessed as an IMAP account along with including the ability to sync contacts and calendar events over the air on your iPad. Contacts and calendar events in the Address Book and iCal on your Mac are kept synchronized between your MobileMe online address book and calendar and with your iPad without having to sync your iPad with iTunes. All server stored mailboxes with the Mail.app on your Mac will be available automatically when accessing the account with the iPad's Mail application along with all server stored mailboxes kept synchronized with the server automatically with the Mail.app on your Mac and with the iPad's Mail application.

None of this is possible with a POP account.

Apr 6, 2010 8:58 AM in response to Bud Willner

You're welcome.

With your iPad connected to iTunes, select your iPad under Devices in the iTunes source list to reveal the various tabs for your iPad sync preferences with iTunes.

Also, the MobileMe doesn't see the iPad. I'm referring to the MobileMe in System Preferences.

You won't see the iPad via your MobileMe account preferences in System Preferences.

You can transfer your MobileMe email account settings from your Mac to your iPad via the iPad sync process with iTunes, which is selected under the Info tab for your iPad sync preferences with iTunes, or you can manually create your MobileMe account on your iPad.

Would you like a link to the iPad user guide? Sounds like you need it.

Apr 6, 2010 9:13 AM in response to Bud Willner

Then manually create the account with the iPad's Mail application. It will take all of 30 seconds or less.

On your iPad, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Select Add Account.

Select MobileMe as the account type.

Enter your name, email address, password, and a description or name for the account. Select Save and you are done. You will have to manually turn Contacts and Calendars on for over the air syncing, but to manually create the account is quick and easy.

iPad vs Syncing Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.