Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 TV Out

Unless i am doing something wrong, which i very much doubt i am not able to get my iPhone 4 to display video's out on my TV.

I am using the Apple (Genuine) Component Cable, LG TV and iPhone 4.

I have downloaded the WWDC2010 iTunes U keynote speech and available sessions.
I have started to play with the component cable plugged in, ensured that the settings allow for Widescreen and PAL output.

There is a Very Faint audio but no video.
Any help would be appreciated.

Apple iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 11:52 AM

36 replies

Jun 25, 2010 10:02 AM in response to JM0774

Kind of taking a guess here, but if your TV doesn't meet the same requirements as the notice for components, then it may not work correctly.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB128LL/B?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY
Note: Component video output to television is supported by iPod nano (3rd, 4th and 5th generation), iPod touch (2nd generation), and iPod classic at 480p or 576p resolution; and by iPod touch (1st generation), iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPad at 480p or 576p resolution.

The i4 hosts Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second
It's possible that the i4 isn't compatible with this cable and Apple didn't realize it since there's no 720p resolution recorded on this product.

Jun 25, 2010 8:39 PM in response to JM0774

I've discovered a problem with my composite video cable (non-apple branded) that may or may not be related to the same bug. My playback works great for just about 1 minute then it quits, sometimes less, sometimes a seconds more. I've tried turning auto-lock to never. No change. I've tried locking the phone manually, no change. It does this for picture slideshows, iPod playback, and youtube. I assume whatever api that playsback these videos is somehow timed to quit after x-number of seconds. If there is a setting I'm missing, someone please tell me! So far, other than this issue, playback from the iPhone 4 is much better than the 3G or 3GS, which would both say the "attached cable isn't compatible", blah, blah, blah... Help us!

Dec 2, 2011 11:12 AM in response to kodnevmisha

After I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS5 videos would play through the Apple cable to the TV, but there was no color, everything was in black and white. On another TV the screen would flicker and scroll (frames per second were off). Turns out the iOS5 was defaulting to PALS when I needed NTSC.

You can set this in your iPhone 4 if you go to Settings>General>TV Out (which will only show up when you have the cable plugged in).

Jan 1, 2012 7:19 PM in response to carts320

If "TV Out" isn't automatically showing up when you plug in the cable then your cable might be bad. Make sure the TV is on, and make sure you're looking under "Settings>General" for "TV Out." TV Out will not show up if the cable isn't plugged in, so if you've got the cable properly connected and the TV on, I can only assume that your cable is bad, and there have been other reports of this, the Apple store will swap it out for you no questions asked.

iPhone 4 TV Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.