Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Midi won't playback in Logic Pro

Hey guys,

So I attempted to use Midi capabilities for the first time on Logic Pro. It appears the recording worked out well. I can see the notes, when it plays the sound is being displayed in the Midi track, however I cannot hear anything in the playback. It's not muted, my preferences are set for the right output. Other Logic projects work just fine, but for some reason the Midi is not making a sound. Any ideas why?

Thanks for your help.

MacBook (Starting Late 2009)

Posted on Dec 6, 2018 3:15 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Dec 7, 2018 9:44 AM in response to HammerJackEllis

Are you expecting to hear the sounds from the MX88?

If yes, and you're using an external MIDI track, the sound is coming out of the MX88's Headphone/Audio jacks.

Since MIDI is only performance data, (like a player piano roll) it simply plays back the performance data to any MIDI Instrument.

Are you using the MX88's built-in USB connection or legacy standard MIDI In/Out cables?

In Logic's Preferences/Audio (General tab) do you have Software Monitoring enabled?

Dec 7, 2018 3:43 PM in response to HammerJackEllis

>>So let me take a step back, can that not be done through a MIDI cable?

Now we're getting somewhere. No, it can't.

MIDI is performance data from the keyboard only, the note you played how hard it was struck (velocity) how long the note was held....etc, but not audio. MIDI can play any instrument you channel it to.

The way you have it setup now, sound is coming out of the MX88, if you have a pair of headphones, plug them into the MX88 while playing the MIDI track. So, you have to run the Audio outs of the MX88 into the interface. Then, you can set up a MIDI track and a stereo Audio track. Record the MIDI part, edit the MIDI to your satisfaction then enable record on the audio track and play back your MIDI track. Then the MX88 output is recorded as a Wav file. There's another way to do it using an "External Instrument Plugin". But I won't go into that now.

MIDI is like the piano roll on this 1927 Gulbransen player piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydcRAMZl0l0

Midi won't playback in Logic Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.