Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

storage problems on MacBook Air

My MacBook Air tells me I am running low on storage. When I try to clear memory it says 166 of the 251 gb is stored in "system." I am unable to access "system" to see what is taking up the memory and ultimately delete unneeded stuff (see second picture, "system" is not selectable and I have tried clicking on it). How do I access this and delete unnecessary stuff? I will attach two screen shots of what I am referencing.

Posted on Dec 8, 2018 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2018 4:01 PM

"System" is not the operating system itself, but represents deleted data on the device's flash that hasn't been overwritten yet. macOS does this to prevent unnecessary "wear" on the device's NAND RAM chips ... so you do not actually have the ability to delete anything is System.

However, here are a few articles that can prove helpful in gaining as much storage space as possible on your notebook:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2018 4:01 PM in response to jollie739

"System" is not the operating system itself, but represents deleted data on the device's flash that hasn't been overwritten yet. macOS does this to prevent unnecessary "wear" on the device's NAND RAM chips ... so you do not actually have the ability to delete anything is System.

However, here are a few articles that can prove helpful in gaining as much storage space as possible on your notebook:

storage problems on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.