Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"your carrier may charge for sms to activate icloud"

PLS. HELP ALWAYS APPEAR MESSAGE "your carrier may charge for sms to activate icloud" it's iCloud not iMessage

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2018 9:06 AM

Hi there nat130,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. I see you're getting a message about your carrier charging for SMS.

You mentioned this alert states it's for activating iCloud; typically, that message would come up relating to activation of iMessages. By any chance, are you using Messages in iCloud? You can check by tapping Settings > [your name] > iCloud, and looking to see if Messages is on. Also, to verify, are you able to send and receive both SMS and iMessages?

From your post, it sounds like this message is popping up frequently. Does it happen after you restart your device, when you switch between Wi-Fi and cellular, when you use a particular app, or does it seem to happen at random?

If you tap Settings > General > About, do you see any prompts to update your carrier settings? Which iOS version are you using on that screen?

I hope this helps you.

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2018 9:06 AM in response to nat130

Hi there nat130,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. I see you're getting a message about your carrier charging for SMS.

You mentioned this alert states it's for activating iCloud; typically, that message would come up relating to activation of iMessages. By any chance, are you using Messages in iCloud? You can check by tapping Settings > [your name] > iCloud, and looking to see if Messages is on. Also, to verify, are you able to send and receive both SMS and iMessages?

From your post, it sounds like this message is popping up frequently. Does it happen after you restart your device, when you switch between Wi-Fi and cellular, when you use a particular app, or does it seem to happen at random?

If you tap Settings > General > About, do you see any prompts to update your carrier settings? Which iOS version are you using on that screen?

I hope this helps you.

Take care.

"your carrier may charge for sms to activate icloud"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.