Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATV 4K Remote, Mute, & Volume

There is no mute button on the remote so I asked Siri to do the honors.  She responded, “you can adjust the volume with your Siri Remote.”  It’s not the same thing.  Kudos to Channels app for providing a fix for Apple’s omission (shake remote to mute).  But that only works within Channels app.

Using the ATV remote option from my iphone control panel and instead of volume buttons it has rewind and fast forward buttons which are basically redundant since I can use the top pad to do that.  Asked Siri to increase volume .  She responded, “you can adjust the volume with your Siri Remote.”  So the ATV on iphone and ipad are poor alternatives to the Siri Remote if volume control is not available.

Since these shortcomings should be easy to remedy I will be hopeful that future tvOS and iOS will come to the rescue.

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 2:45 PM

The Apple TV itself doesn't have volume control, when using the physical remote it uses IR or HDMI CEC to control it via whichever source is being used. The app can only control it via CEC, and is done using the physical buttons on the IOS device.

FYI: This is a user forum, you aren't addressing Apple.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2018 2:45 PM in response to PurdyApp

The Apple TV itself doesn't have volume control, when using the physical remote it uses IR or HDMI CEC to control it via whichever source is being used. The app can only control it via CEC, and is done using the physical buttons on the IOS device.

FYI: This is a user forum, you aren't addressing Apple.

ATV 4K Remote, Mute, & Volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.