Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Issue: W10 keeps asking to Reinstall

Hi,

I recently purchase a new 2017 iMac (3.8gHz QC/8MB) and am trying to run W10 for gaming (F1 2018) but run into the same issue over and over again.

My steps:

1: updates it to the latest Mojave version

2: downloaded W10 ISO from the Windows site (followed link from Apple’s BC page and picked the older ISO version)

3: started Boot Camp and followed the installation

4: iMac restarted nicely into W10 and started the Boot Camp Assistant in W10 to finish the installation.

Here is where things went wrong I guess

5: the BC Assistant in W10 frooze so I rebooted the iMac and started from the W10 partition. The fact that the Boot Camp Assistant in W10 did not complete caused an issue with drivers not being installed properly because the game just did not run smoothly at all)

6: decided to boot back into macOS and remove the partition via Disk Utility.

7: for whatever reason the crashes my Mac, reboot and noticed some system icons like Mail.app went missing.

8: started another Boot Camp installation, let it run, started in W10, successfully was able to let the Boot Camp Assistant inW10 do its thing, installed the game and everything looked great.

However, when I restarted the Mac to boot into W10, i ended up with a blue screen telling me there was an issue ans that I had to reinstall W10 which I did. Installed the game, everything great intil the same sequence started again.

So a bit lost.

Q’s:

1: are the missing system icons a concern and could they cause the W10 issue?

2: what could cause the constant issue with me having to install W10 (reading about version 1703 being the only right W10 working)

3: what would THE right way to start from scratch? (Ideally erasing any W10 remains from previous installations.

@LonerT?

many thanks,

Roland

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 9:48 AM

Similar questions

27 replies

Dec 17, 2018 7:57 PM in response to Roland777

So it seems the CMS+NVRAM fixed the issue?
Could you explain in layman terms what fixed the issue?

It is good to see it work properly without peripherals. A SMC Reset rebuild the internal hardware database. How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support provides a much better explanation than I can.

The only thing that is not working is the reboot into macOS from Boot Camp icon in the task bar.
It tells me it can't find the macOS XYZ... (missed the message)

The AppleControlPanel.exe does not recognize the macOS APFS file system. It does work properly on 2018 Macs. There are various 'modifications' which will allow it to work. If you are interested, I will post links.

Next I will test with adding the USB Cable for the steering wheel and a USB C to Mini-Display Port cable to use my old 27" iMac as a 2nd screen.

Have a mild suspicion that the steering wheel maybe causing heartburn.

Does the other iMac support Target Display Mode? See Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support for reference.

Would love to understand what cause the issue in your opinion.

Connect one peripheral at a time, and let us see what we get.

Dec 13, 2018 12:14 PM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

Did that followed by:

1: Completely shutting down the iMac

2: Starting by holding Option Key and boot into W10.

Result:

1: Blue Windows logo

2; Spinning wheel/balls

3: Blue Windows logo disappearing

4: Spinning wheel freezing

5: macOS starting itself after I would say 2 minutes.

Next:

1: Started macOS till I get to the regular macOS login screen

2: Click on the Restart option at the bottom

3: Similar to above

4: Error message after it automatically rebooted to macOS

Error messages:

Dec 16, 2018 1:48 PM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

i started from scratch and was able to play the game for a solid hour. Just tried again by rebooting into W10 by holding the Option key and pick Windows 10 and after two failed tries, macOS started the macOS by itself, it finally started W10 with an error message. Something with an unhappy smiley face and an error code with “Stop” in it. Automatically booted back into macOS... so loopdieloop.

Made sure NO harddrives or even USB Cables, besides Keyboard are attached, to the iMac...

just tried again and not even getting into W10 screens.

If I login to macOS, it get attached error message:

I used the 1803 version by the way.

Dec 17, 2018 7:39 PM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

1:

Did the SMC procedure, and when starting the Mac after the SMC, the NVRAM, and Windows started like nothing ever happened. Let Windows run for around 5 minutes (during which I saw some flashes of a 'Terminal like' screen.

2:

Next, I tried to reboot into macOS via the little Boot Camp icon in the task bar, but Boot Camp Control Panel does not show macOS (see attached). So I opted to shut down Windows via the regular Start Menu.

3:

Noticing that after shut down and startup it boots into Windows (assumed it reset the Boot Order (macOS first) I set previously)

Again, boots up Windows without an issue.

Shut down Windows vis Start Menu

4:

Start up macOS by holding Option Key after I turn iMac on. No Error messages.

5:

Shut down macOS

6:

Start up Windows 10 by holding Option Key.

Starts Windows 10 without any issues.

So it seems the CMS+NVRAM fixed the issue?

Could you explain in layman terms what fixed the issue?

Next test:

1: Set the Boot Order to macOS first

2: Shut down iMac

3: Start iMac (not holding Option Key). > macOS boots

4: Shut down iMac

5: Start iMac with Option key to start in Windows 10

6: Windows 10 starts perfectly!

The only thing that is not working is the reboot into macOS from Boot Camp icon in the task bar.

It tells me it can't find the macOS XYZ... (missed the message)

Next I will test with adding the USB Cable for the steering wheel and a USB C to Mini-Display Port cable to use my old 27" iMac as a 2nd screen.

Would love to understand what cause the issue in your opinion.

How can I thank you Loner T?

Dec 12, 2018 1:57 PM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

I might have to transfer the game's files. As said, the game worked perfectly and I was able to reboot into macOS, but the 2nd time it failed.

I also remembered that when I was able to get into W10 and saw the regular screen, it somehow rebooted itself into macOS and get an Error Message I recorded. Is it save to share that here? Or can I send it just to you?

I am willing to start from scratch but would like to know how to wipe all previous W10 traces?

Thanks Loner!

Dec 13, 2018 4:06 PM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner....

I previously removed the Boot Camp partition through Disk Utility but upon reading I should have used the Boot Camp Assistant to do so. Could that first Disk Utility removal caused (some of) the issue(s)?

I will remove the W10 partition via the Boot Camp Assistant and start from scratch. Do I understand that I should turn off auto-updates on Windows?

UPDATE: Got attached error when I tried to use the Boot Camp Assistant.

If I open Disk Utility, the partition is gone:

Should I do anything to make sure the next Boot Camp Installation is 'clean' because of the above error?

I would like to thank you for you swift responses.

Dec 16, 2018 8:09 PM in response to Roland777

Note: network cable is not attached. I only have a USB Cable for Keyboard and USB Cable for Thrustmaster Wheel attached.

When booted into macOS, see previous post, I get black Windows screen with the blue Windows logo, and boom, back to macOS...

Next I turn of macOS, wait 15 seconds turn on macOS and hold Option key. Boot into Windows, black screen/blue window logo/screen goes dark for a second, spinning balls which freeze, and starts macOS....

Next, do an SMC, boot into Windows... screen with the option I shared above...

Picked: Startup Repair > Black screen/Windows logo: Diagnosing PC. Result: Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC.

Press "Advanced Options" to try other options to repair your pc or Shut down. Log file: C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\StrTrail.txt > Picked Advanced Options

Selected Restore from Previous version. Picked the most recent one in the list which was when I installed Thrustmaster Drivers for Wheel.

Restore succesful > Asked to restart Windows > Restarts in MacOS > Before I log into macOS, I opt to restart and pick Windows after holding Option Key.

This time Windows starts, I can log in get a black screen, and after a while I get a working W10.!!!

So.. If I do a SMC, select Advanced Option and pick a restore point, it works. But that can't be right I assume. ;)

Some other pointers:

I have selected macOS as the default startup "boot"

Hope the above helps to get an idea what is going on...

Boot Camp Issue: W10 keeps asking to Reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.