Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot install BOOT CAMP on my Mac Pro (2009)

Hi there! I am trying to install windows 7Ultimate (because that's the only DVD with original copy I have on my own) on my Mac Pro running High Sierra (with all updates on it), 64Gb of memory 4T of hard drive. I have followed many on these explanations here in the community regarding this error that seems it is very common (I had already two other iMacs 27" and MacBook installed Windows 7 without any problem like this one!). I am trying to install Windows without using the BootCamp Assistant because it just gives me the option to download files and nothing else (and still getting that annoying message about the partition).

So I decided to create a partition with 1T for my BootCamp (created many times as ExFat, MS-DOS (FAT32), MacOS journaled non-encrypted) with all the previous types and nothing. When I create the partition and reboot my machine using "OPTION" key down to get access to my bootable DVD the Windows installation disk began but then when I get to the option of which drive to install, tells me an error regarding GPT. I tried to format it (partition 4), and still shows me GPT error. Then went back to TERMINAL and used the disk and disk and got an error on partition 4 as this partition does not exist or it is toot big.

Ok, any help on how to install this W7 Ultimate? I have reinstalled (fresh installation) of the Mac OS X 10.13 already 3 times (as recommended in some of the community feedback)

Thank you.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 20, 2020 12:24 PM

Similar questions

27 replies

Mar 22, 2020 7:57 PM in response to MorcegoVermelho

If you get a 128GB disk, we can temporarily install macOS on it and boot from it. Time Machine is another option as a backup, but requires a larger disk.

The steps to install macOS on the 128GB external disk are

• Connect the external disk and erase/format it.
  • Boot Mac using Command+R, which boots the Local Recovery.
  • Click on Re-install macOS, and choose the external disk as destination.
  • Ensure that there is a Local Recovery HD on the external disk.
  • Now, boot from the external disk, and erase the 4T disk using the command I provided. Verify that the partition layout is correct.
  • Install macOS on the macOS partition on the 4T disk. Install GPT Fdisk.

To install Windows...

• Create the Hybrid MBR to match the GPT.
  • Insert Windows DVD, and boot from it and try to install W7 on the designated partition. You will need to reformat the the designated partition. Do not manipulate the disk partitions.
  • See Step 4 in Install Windows on your older Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support for the exact steps. Your partition selection will not be the same as shown, since the order of partitions is different on the 4T disk.

Apr 24, 2020 1:59 PM in response to Loner T

Ok. I got it! finally is working the BOOTCAMP.

Literally, what I did was getting another Harddrive (2T in this case), erased as ExFAT, then placed the DVD of the Windows 7 on DVD. Restarted on DVD, then Windows installer was able to find the "new" hard drive with 2T on it, and finally I was able to installed it.

So, now I have the PowerMac with 2 internal hard drive one with 4T (Mac OS X) and the other one with Windows 7.

Mar 21, 2020 2:23 PM in response to MorcegoVermelho

Based on your explanation, we are using layout 1, with a variant of the second 999GB partition. You plan to use the 999GB (the 2 with *) as your designated Windows partition.

• If the DVD is not booting, is it readable when you are booted in macOS?
  • Does your MP have the original GPU that came with it?
  • Assuming you are using Alt/Option to boot W7, do you have a Windows icon from the DVD, that you select?

Mar 22, 2020 12:01 PM in response to MorcegoVermelho

After you create the two partitions, post the output of

diskutil list

and we can go further. If you have any drives, other than the designated Windows drive (and optionally the macOS disk), they should be physically removed, till Windows is installed.

There are two possible configurations.

• Single disk - macOS and Windows, or,
  • Two disks - Windows has a dedicated disk, as does macOS.

Mar 20, 2020 4:07 PM in response to Loner T

Ok, I got this part about the 2T or smaller for the BC to work. So, how can I install the Windows (in this case Windows 7 Ultimate) or even the Windows 10 (I just downloaded from MS website) without using the BC?

I create a partition with 1T and format it as ExFAT or MS-DOS? And then what else? or there is no way at all to install windows in this hard drive?

thanks.

Mar 20, 2020 4:40 PM in response to MorcegoVermelho

If the disk is partitioned using a partition at the beginning of the disk, which is within the 2T limit, then it will work. You current 1T partition is beyond the 2T limit, at the end of the disk. In this case, your partitions would look like EFI, Windows (<=2T), macOS.

The second method is to create a partition which starts within the the first 2T limit and can continue for another 2T. In this case, you partitions would look like EFI, macOS(<2T), (2T<Windows<4T),macOS. This is used on iMacs which have a 3Tb Fusion drive (CoreStorage) and support legacy BIOS only. Mojave and Catalina do not support this layout on APFS.

The third method is to use W7 as a VM, if you do not need native performance.

Mar 21, 2020 9:37 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T.Thanks for the feedbacks.

I can't understand the first method clearly. But I do see a possibility on the second method (I don't know why but it seems make more sense trying this one first), and the third option, unfortunately won't work for what I have to accomplish (I need great performance on the software that I will need to run in this machine). I will post later if the I can do the second method to work (I believe I still will need to run the G disk and F disk)...

Thanks

Mar 21, 2020 10:21 AM in response to MorcegoVermelho

Let us pick a number less than 2T fo r your Windows installation, let us say 1.9T. When a disk is erased using Disk Utility, the typical size of EFI is 200-300MB, and it is the first partition.

In layout 1, you will have EFI (200-300MB), Windows (1.9T), macOS (3.1T). The Windows FAT/exFAT is created on the disk first and it is the first partition. Remainder is dedicated to macOS.

In layout 2, you will have EFI (200-300MB), macOS (1.9T), Windows (1.9T), macOS-Remainder (200G). The Windows FAT/exFAT is created on the disk second and it is the second partition which starts within the first 2T of the disk. Remainder is dedicated to macOS. You can build a CoreStorage (not APFS) Fusion drive using this layout.

Mar 21, 2020 12:24 PM in response to Loner T

Sorry Loner T, you just got me on CoreStorage (I have no idea what is this - my limitation of knowledge). Let me explain what I did so far:

Created partition with 900G, then created another partition with 999G. So remaining is for MacOS (2T).

Then before I tried t install the Windows, I tried the BC Assistant again (it show only the option to remove Windows 7 or 8 - obviously I did not remove it). Then looking to one of your previous post, I used the f disk and g disk recommendations. Ok, I got it thru. on Sudu fdisk /dev/disk0 shows 4 entities, with 1, 2 (with *) and 3 and 4 with 0s. Tried to start with my Windows 7 DVD startup disk, then it did not come up just told me to "click any key to startup from DVD/CD....." my keyboard was not working, rebooted the machine again. Then I went to DiskUtility again and erased the both Windows partition as MS-DOS and tried the Windows 7 DVD again, and same message: "click any key to startup from DVD/CD..." and my keyboard was still frozen. Rebooted the machine again and now I am here completely stuck. I know there must be something small that I am missing all of this, but can't figure it out (even the CSRutil I was able to disable prior using the F/Gdisk).

If it is not too much, could you please guide me on every step of the way? I only need between 0.7~1T for Windows at most anyways.

Thanks.

Mar 22, 2020 1:26 PM in response to Loner T

Lake-Nona-Mac-Pro:~ lakenonapowermac$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *4.0 TB     disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            3.0 TB     disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

4:                  Apple_HFS Untitled                999.2 GB   disk0s4

Lake-Nona-Mac-Pro:~ lakenonapowermac$ 

I cannot install BOOT CAMP on my Mac Pro (2009)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.