Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Bing showing up as my search engine I use safari?

Hi there,

I recently installed Adobeflashplayer on my computer and now when I go to search instead of google being my preferred search engine bing shows up. I have checked to see if there's any extensions (I don't have any) I deleted the adobe flash player I tried this:

In the Finder, press the key combination shift-command-A to open the Applications folder. Select the Safari icon in that folder and press the key combination command-I to open the Info window. There’s a checkbox in the Info window labeled Open in 32-bit mode. If that box is checked, uncheck it. Close the Info window and the Applications folder.

Open the Library folder in your home folder as follows:

☞ If running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, hold down the option key and select Go ▹ Library from the Finder menu bar.

☞ If running an older version of Mac OS X, select Go ▹ Go to Folder… from the Finder menu bar and enter “~/Library” (without the quotes) in the text box that opens.

Delete the following items from the Library folder (some may not exist):

Caches/com.apple.Safari

Caches/com.apple.WebKit.PluginProcess

Caches/Metadata/Safari

Preferences/com.apple.WebKit.PluginHost.plist

Preferences/com.apple.WebKit.PluginProcess.plist

Saved Application State/com.apple.Safari.savedState

Leave the Library folder open. Try Safari again. If it works now, stop here. Close the Library folder.

Step 2

If Safari still doesn’t work right, quit, go back to the Finder and move the following items from the open Library folder to the Desktop (some may not exist):

Cookies/Cookies.binarycookies

Preferences/com.apple.Safari.LSSharedFileList.plist

Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Preferences/com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist

Preferences/com.apple.WebFoundation.plist

PubSub/Database

Safari

I am not computer savvy and I feel like from that Adobe update it corrupted my computer.

Any help to get rid of bing would be great.

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 13, 2018 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2018 10:44 AM

Download this program which was written by Thomas Reed, a long time poster. The program will search for malware/adware The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. 

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac      10.10 and later

Malwarebytes uninstall

Similar questions

3 replies

Why is Bing showing up as my search engine I use safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.