Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari will not force quit and Bing redirect malware

I have read on recent post that downloading malwarebytes will remove threats (corrupted files) that allow Safari to continue to run in the background. Will this software also remove the Bing redirect embedded files?

I have followed the advice of others posted solutions like opening the activity monitor and force quitting Geneio but of course there is no such file. As for force quitting unusual files with path names I don’t recognize, I’m not a tech guy so I wouldn’t recognize them if they were staring me in the face.

I have looked in both Safari and Firefox’s extension folder for plugins that could be the culprit but they are empty.

One of the reviews for Malwarebytes said it didn’t solve the Bing redirect malware that I picked when a pop up said I had to update Flashplayer.

The effected computer is a MacBook Pro running Sierra 10.12.6

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 15, 2019 8:47 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 15, 2019 9:46 AM in response to extremetouring

Malwarebytes normally removes the Bing redirect.

Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions.  Do not download any other programs.   Malwarebytes uninstall

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-bing-redirect-virus.html

How to get rid of Bing.com Redirect - Virus removal guide

Apr 15, 2019 11:44 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you Eric for taking time today to help out. I downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes and it did identify Geneio threats along with Mac CleanUp and MacKeeper which removed with their uninstaller programs but left behind files that are now in the quarantine Malwarebytes quarantine folder.

My question is do I need to clear the quarantine file out in order to restore the functionality of Safari and Firefox to their original state? I ask because after running the program twice Bing redirect is still operational and Safari still will not close, it opens immediately after rebooting.

Apr 15, 2019 12:09 PM in response to Eric Root

Once again thanks. I ran the scan feature a couple of more times, deleted the files in the Malwarebytes quarantine folder, and then rebooted the computer and both programs seem to be working fine. Probably a simple fix for you but a major headache for me so your assistance was very helpful! If anything changes I will keep you posted.

Have a great week.

Safari will not force quit and Bing redirect malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.