Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System taking up way too much space

Hi all,

Recently my Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, late 2013) running on Mojave is taking up way too much space. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? See the screenshot, for some reaseon it takes up almost 90GB for "System" and "other volumes" however I have no f*cking clue what "other volumes" may be, since I can't find it back on my Mac anywhere.

Anyone that had the same problems, or could just help me? Thanks in advance.

Emiel

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Dec 14, 2018 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2018 8:15 AM

In an APFS boot disk there are usually four volumes, but most of them use very little space.

Do not mess with these other volumes, but you can look in Disk Utility to see what other volumes are taking that amount of space. Do View->Show All Devices, then select the whole drive (not the startup volume).

As you can see in the picture below, the other volumes (circled) take a very small amount of space. If VM is taking a lot, maybe you are using a lot of memory and swapping is taking a lot of space on the drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2018 8:15 AM in response to it'sbroken

In an APFS boot disk there are usually four volumes, but most of them use very little space.

Do not mess with these other volumes, but you can look in Disk Utility to see what other volumes are taking that amount of space. Do View->Show All Devices, then select the whole drive (not the startup volume).

As you can see in the picture below, the other volumes (circled) take a very small amount of space. If VM is taking a lot, maybe you are using a lot of memory and swapping is taking a lot of space on the drive.

System taking up way too much space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.