Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari will not load

When I attempt to load Safari I get the error message, "Safari will not load because of a problem. Check with developer to make sure Safari works with this version of OS X. You may have to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any updates to the application and OS X."

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 14, 2018 7:43 AM

122 replies

Dec 15, 2018 9:45 AM in response to rutger176

No, El Capitan is not at the App store. After making a backup of course, you can go into recovery mode and reinstall the latest operating system that is compatible with your mac by booting and holding down Option-⌘-R (that should be El Capitan)

More details on how to reinstall OS at: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

This glitch is a Yosemite only bug that was part of an iTunes update earlier this week. The three options are:

1. Remove library file as per earlier in this thread.
  2. Install OS later than Yosemite
  3. Wait until Apple pushes another update to correct the problem, which may or may not actually happen.

Dec 14, 2018 1:40 PM in response to BQ1980

I am on a Macbook pro. osx 10.10.5 - Safari broken after itunes update.

For a 'dirty fix' I just deleted, (moved to trash), the following file... MobileDevice.framework

this is located /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework

Safari started up again fine straight away and I haven't noticed any issues since.

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework

Dec 14, 2018 4:05 PM in response to harryhayes

Ditto on the MacBook OSX 10.10.5 ; ditto on the automatic iTunes update notification Dec 14, 2018, which I rarely use. Whoever you are, Harry, many thanks! I don't even have a Mobile device and my computer (2013) is no where near as old as I am. I just did what you told me. Amazing that I could even find the location (I am not a tech nerd but I figured out that System means Mac HD). WEIRD stuff.

A festival of light, for sure.

Dec 14, 2018 7:19 PM in response to Ibrocken1

As others have said, many thanks to harryhayes for the quick fix. I had a little bit of trouble finding the right path to the final piece to be deleted. So I thought I'd include how I got there. I have a MacBook Pro Retina mid-2012. Open your Finder window and along the top bar you'll see "Finder File Edit View Go Window Help." Click on Go. Select Computer from the drop down menu. Select Macintosh HD. Next select System (not Library.) After clicking System you'll see Library. Click that and you'll find the Private Framework. Click that and there you'll find MobileDevice.framework. Drag it to Trash. And Safari should be back and running. So to recap the steps: Finder>Go>Computer>Macintosh HD>System>Library>Private Framework>MobileDevice.framework. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you folks who helped solve this problem which was major.

P.S. I just discovered a quick way to get to Macintosh HD. Click the keys: Command+Shift+C.

Dec 16, 2018 2:38 PM in response to LilyLu66

I was just chatting with Apple about this issue, which they are aware of.

They are recommending upgrading to the latest version of Mojave. "You shouldn’t have any issues after updating to 10.14.2. This is a recommended solution," said the support person.

I thought I re-installed El Capitan, but it installed High Sierra 10.13.4. Safari is working fine.

They recommend backing up all your data (not the complete system) before upgrading the OS. Here is the link they gave me to perform the backup:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475

Hope this helps!

Dec 14, 2018 1:56 PM in response to Ibrocken1

Hmm,

Yes, indeed , this does the trick.

Now, from the point of view of a low grade, mortal Mac user - how on earth can I be expected to even imagine that an update to the music software iTunes can cause the web browser to fail loading. And how is this connected to MobileDevice as I am using a rather clunky nine year old iMac.

Thanks!

Any other inside wisdom you can share with us?

Dec 14, 2018 5:02 PM in response to hblnk

Yes, I can not agree more w hbInk‼️ I followed Harry's Instructions exactly, and it worked‼️ I also found a UTUBE VID-https://binged.it/2Gfxkl5 on how to access HIDDEN FILES on MAC SYSTEM LIBRARY. Since, when I configured my new MAC MINI YOSIMITE about 7-8 Yrs ago. I configured the HIDDEN FILE not to be viewable. And I have never needed to view them, until Harry's Solution. Well Surprise, SPOTLIGHT did not find the MOBILEDEVICE.FRAMEWORK Directory. That was another little detail, that supports hbInk's comments about us 'Low Grade Mortal Mac Users'.

Anyway, THANKS, Harry and hbInk.

Dec 14, 2018 5:18 PM in response to BretonTom

Hey all.

Pleased I have been able to help.

In the mean time, anyone having trouble finding the file - I use an app called, would you believe "find file' which I downloaded off of macupdate website ----- > macupdate.com/app/mac/30073/find-file

Obviously, I can't recommend or guarantee the safety of this app but I have used it for quite a while with no problems.

Have a great Christmas everyone.

Dec 14, 2018 6:04 PM in response to Candiana111

Candiana111

Copied from above...

Hey all.

Pleased I have been able to help.

In the mean time, anyone having trouble finding the file - I use an app called, would you believe "find file' which I downloaded off of macupdate website ----- > macupdate.com/app/mac/30073/find-file

Obviously, I can't recommend or guarantee the safety of this app but I have used it for quite a while with no problems.

Have a great Christmas everyone.

Dec 14, 2018 6:21 PM in response to Candiana111

You can roll back but the update will still be there and will still break Safari at the moment.

You temporarily override the block on the app download. Go to system preferences - security and privacy and under the general tab there is an option to allow this. You may nee to unlock the option, (both left padlock > enter password.

Remember to re- select if you want to switch to secure again after downloading.

Dec 14, 2018 6:47 PM in response to Candiana111

So I have now refined the search to just the MobileFramework and found and deleted it, and Yaaaay! It worked. Thank you soo much! Safari is the browser I use the most and it had lots of saved passwords etc. Funny that Apple does these things that destroy their own preferred browser!

Thank you so much for the tech help!

Have a great holiday season.

Safari will not load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.