Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Pro with the T2 chip - "Unable to Verify macOS" when re-installing OS from Internet Recovery

Hey there,

It looks like I got to a dead end and any help would be really appreciated!

Long story short, currently there's no valid system on the iMac Pro (meaning when it starts, it just displays a folder with question mark in it), and I cannot use Internet Recovery to re-install the OS because it always fails with 2 minutes remaining, with the error "Unable to verify macOS".

Also due to the T2 chip, I cannot re-install the system using a rebootable device and due to the lack of the system, there's no administer user on this iMac at all. This iMac Pro is essentially useless at this point. What would you recommend me to try? Any help would be highly appreciated!

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 15, 2018 9:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2018 8:22 AM

I'd try the other internet startup key combo to make sure the validation error wasn't version specific. If option-command-R failed I'd suggest trying shift-option-command-R (or vise versa).

Next up would be to either contact Apple Support or take it to an Apple store. Assuming you didn't buy yours the first week it was available (or did purchased Apple Care) it should still be under warranty.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2018 8:22 AM in response to wyefei88

I'd try the other internet startup key combo to make sure the validation error wasn't version specific. If option-command-R failed I'd suggest trying shift-option-command-R (or vise versa).

Next up would be to either contact Apple Support or take it to an Apple store. Assuming you didn't buy yours the first week it was available (or did purchased Apple Care) it should still be under warranty.

Dec 17, 2018 11:13 AM in response to wyefei88

very difficult problem to solve. I'd take it in to an Apple Store and have them look at it but I think even they could not handle this problem. BUT...I'm going off memory because I used to run two iMac Pros. When you do internet recovery try to get into the program to offset that T2 to "allow external boots."

iMac Pro with the T2 chip - "Unable to Verify macOS" when re-installing OS from Internet Recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.