Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime icon grayed out in messages app

The FaceTime video chat icon is grayed out in the messages app. I did not change any of my settings and the icon is like that for all of my contacts. Even the contacts that have iPhones. Someone please help.

iPhone 5s

Posted on Dec 17, 2018 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2018 1:58 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Ethannnn_25!

I see you've noticed that the FaceTime option is greyed out within Messages. I'd be happy to look further into what may be happening with you.

First, try the steps outlined in this article: If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If that doesn't help, please respond to the following:

1. Are you able to FaceTime from the FaceTime app or Phone app?
  2. Are you using the latest update on your iPhone?

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a great day!

77 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2018 1:58 PM in response to Ethannnn_25

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Ethannnn_25!

I see you've noticed that the FaceTime option is greyed out within Messages. I'd be happy to look further into what may be happening with you.

First, try the steps outlined in this article: If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If that doesn't help, please respond to the following:

1. Are you able to FaceTime from the FaceTime app or Phone app?
  2. Are you using the latest update on your iPhone?

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a great day!

Feb 9, 2019 9:48 PM in response to Ethannnn_25

me too The FaceTime video chat icon is grayed out in the messages app. I did not change any of my settings and the icon is like that for all of my contacts. Even the contacts that have iPhones. Someone please help. I’ve tried everything only got my iMessage and FaceTime up and running because I had an activation problem and don’t want to turn it off Incase it doesn’t let me in again what do I do someone please help ???

Dec 27, 2018 10:41 PM in response to kaewansj

Add me to the group. I just noticed it as well today. Ironically on my iPad it's normal the FT option is solid. On my iPhone it's greyed out. Like other I can make a FT call directly from the FT app OR if I go to info then tap the FT icon. I do notice for a millisecond it is greyed out then turns blue on the info page.

Jan 6, 2019 7:35 AM in response to Ethannnn_25

So, went to Apple store yesterday to pick up the laptop repair - of course already a crowd in there - didn't need an appointment to pick it up and the wait was only about 15 minutes for that end of the store. In order for me to speak to someone about the facetime issue I had to check in for an appointment. While doing so, I explained and showed the tech what was going on, he put me in for an appointment - just to get me on the board because it was a THREE 1/2 HR wait!! - mind you, this was at 11am - he thought he would be able to fix it - of course couldn't. I told him I was on this thread and there were many people with the same issue - he said he hadn't heard anything about it! So needless to say, it's still an issue for us all. I was not going to waste over 3 hours of my Saturday waiting for something that probably no one there could fix anyway. Sorry guys :(

Any update from the rep who took your phone logs for engineering to study DavidinFlorida2?

Jan 19, 2019 12:28 PM in response to CT-840

OK, as of 1/19/19 good and bad news: I contacted my tech rep and he reported back to me today. Good news: Apparently the engineers are working on it, and it is now what we lay people would call a “known problem “. Bad news: There is no timetable for a fix. A fix will either come in the form of an email to those of us who have opened tech-support cases, or a new iOS update for all devices. If I hear anything I will post it here. Meanwhile I urge everyone who has this problem to call Apple support and open a case, so they give it the proper priority in finding a resolution! If you have the problem, please open a tech-support case and explain how many people are complaining about the problem to the wrap, if the rep is unaware of it and ask them to forward it to upper levels of support .

Jan 24, 2019 12:26 PM in response to Ethannnn_25

Since updating my iPad Air to 12.1.2 in the beginning of January, I have not been able to make FaceTime video calls from the messages app as well. Like everyone else, I can make FaceTime audio calls from the messages app and the FaceTime App works just fine. I was happy when I saw the 12.1.3 update notification today. However, this update has not resolved this issue for me.

FaceTime icon grayed out in messages app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.