Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto and photos

I am buying a new iMac early next year and currently I have a late 2012 with iPhoto. My Mac has iPhoto corrupt and cannot repair etc - cannot access it no matter what I do. I can see I have 70Gb in Pictures - iPhoto library so all there despite cannot access them.

I understand new iMac does not have photos in it so how can I transfer all my iPhotos to photos in new mac.

I have everything backed up in Time Machine - so when I plug TM in mew Mac, will iPhoto automatically be found and load. After I have transferred everything in Photos, I fount use iPhoto again.

Posted on Dec 17, 2018 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2018 3:37 PM

Photos and iPhoto are different applications and they work differently. For instance, there are no events in Photos, those are replaced by a concept called 'Moments'. When you migrate all your Events are converted to Albums in Photos. According to Léonie's very helpful note here

Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from… - Apple Community

Yes, your albums are also migrated.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2018 3:37 PM in response to Booberoi

Photos and iPhoto are different applications and they work differently. For instance, there are no events in Photos, those are replaced by a concept called 'Moments'. When you migrate all your Events are converted to Albums in Photos. According to Léonie's very helpful note here

Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from… - Apple Community

Yes, your albums are also migrated.

Dec 17, 2018 3:46 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi - I have a disk problem which is not allowing me to access iPhoto - spinning wheel etc. I took my mac to Apple genius bar and they said I have disk problems hence reason for new mac coming up.

just now - I tried to copy iPhotos into Photos - went to 13% and said I had file issues so had to quit - which is what I did.

So, I will have to wait until new Mac and then try what you said.

By the way, at an earlier date I did copy my iPhoto events into photos album and all there - I just want to copy the latest lot of Albums I created in iphoto to Photo - but happy to wait.

Thanks

iphoto and photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.