Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ask to buy option not available

I have just set my son up on an iPhone, he is 10, but despite having him set up on family sharing he is able to buy apps without my permission.

when I go into family sharing ask to buy is not there. He is listed as a member of my family and to confirm he is 10 and that is showing next to his name so he is set up as a child

iPhone 8

Posted on Dec 18, 2018 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2018 6:12 PM

Make sure that the share my purchases is on.

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > Family Sharing. On iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Family. 
  2. Tap your name.
  3. Under Family Purchases, review your account information.
  4. Make sure that Share my purchases is on.

The try to see if you can see the ask to buy setting and turn it on for the child.

By the way, the Apple ID account was created while you were setting up family sharing? It should be an iCloud account.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2018 6:12 PM in response to louisa228

Make sure that the share my purchases is on.

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > Family Sharing. On iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Family. 
  2. Tap your name.
  3. Under Family Purchases, review your account information.
  4. Make sure that Share my purchases is on.

The try to see if you can see the ask to buy setting and turn it on for the child.

By the way, the Apple ID account was created while you were setting up family sharing? It should be an iCloud account.

Dec 18, 2018 6:50 PM in response to louisa228

You won't be charged for the past purchases he already made. This message is moving forward.

If you will not enable share purchases, you won't be able to do to Ask to buy feature.

Just make sure that your card is not added to your child's Apple ID account: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201266

If the child made any purchases accidentally, Apple can possibly refund it as one time only.

Dec 18, 2018 6:31 PM in response to miyalung

Hi thanks for the reply

yes it’s set up as an iCloud account.

i haven’t got share my purchases on as it says by turning that on I agree to pay for his purchases, I don’t want this as I don’t want him running up a huge bill. All the sites I’ve looked at says that for under 13’s it should be on automatically so no idea why it’s not!

Ask to buy option not available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.