Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone Xs Max keeps dropping calls

My new Iphone XS Max keeps dropping calls; is there a fix for this problem

iPhone XS

Posted on Dec 20, 2018 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2019 6:14 PM

I have had the same problem ever since buying this iPhone XS Max in December. Nothing but trouble. Verizon store can’t even figure it out. They had me call Verizon support tier 2 and they had no idea but said it was happening a lot and we needed to contact apple. Maybe they will have an update soon after 12.1.3 or whatever it is. I really would love some help. I’ve tried everything the net says to try. Airplane mode. Resetting network. Resetting iPhone. Nothing is working. Are there any answers here or do I need to call apple. I hate that I paid this much for a phone and it call fails 70-80 percent of the time.

156 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2019 6:14 PM in response to raina_b22

I have had the same problem ever since buying this iPhone XS Max in December. Nothing but trouble. Verizon store can’t even figure it out. They had me call Verizon support tier 2 and they had no idea but said it was happening a lot and we needed to contact apple. Maybe they will have an update soon after 12.1.3 or whatever it is. I really would love some help. I’ve tried everything the net says to try. Airplane mode. Resetting network. Resetting iPhone. Nothing is working. Are there any answers here or do I need to call apple. I hate that I paid this much for a phone and it call fails 70-80 percent of the time.

Feb 19, 2019 8:49 AM in response to jaron112

I've tried just about everything here and behold; I still get dropped calls...... VERY Frustrating!

I'm on the phone with clients, and without a doubt, the CALL DROPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone calls, within a few seconds, the CALL DROPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm calling out, I connect, then within a few seconds, the CALL DROPS!!!!!!!!!

Apple = Very Expensive Phone but Guaranteed to DROP Your CALLS!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 20, 2019 8:11 AM in response to VictorRG

My XS Max does the same thing. The phone rings, I answer and after a few seconds, dead air. I call back, they answer and after a few seconds, dead air. I have to turn off the phone and reboot and it works for awhile, but then eventually happens again. I have the latest OS and went to the Apple Store about it. They reset the network settings. Still happening. They said it's a Verizon problem. I am a teacher and a student in my class with an XS is having the same issue. Sooooo.... I have no idea! They are each blaming the other person. Does anyone on another network have the same issue?

Apr 5, 2019 1:41 PM in response to VictorRG

I may finally have the answer! According to a co-worker who was at the Apple Store several times over this issue... Go to settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Options - and make sure the Enable LTE is turned to Data ONLY and not Voice & Data. He said since he has done this a few months ago, it has stopped dropping those 2 second calls. It DOES NOT do anything to your voice calls. I did it yesterday and am still talking just fine on the phone... and, it hasn't dropped one yet.

Dec 22, 2018 12:12 PM in response to VictorRG

Good afternoon VictorRG,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are experiencing some dropped calls on your iPhone XS Max. The first thing I would suggest is to make sure you have upgraded to the most recent iOS (currently iOS 12.1.2). Check to see if there are any carrier updates needed for your iPhone as well.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Here are some general troubleshooting steps you can try. If the issue still persists, then I would contact your wireless carrier to investigate on their end as well.

If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone

Take care.

Mar 13, 2019 6:36 PM in response to Jparker013

I’ve had an iPhone X S Max for a couple months. Dropped calls continuously in the last three weeks: two visits to Verizon, three to the Apple Store. Today the online Apple rep said the Apple Store should replace the device; the Apple Store tech would not. He ran diagnostic, then restore, then default settings. Finally said the issue is with Verizon. I now conclude that it’s Apple’s new, weakened antenna design! That is a device issue! Have had three iPhones; never felt so let down by Apple.

Mar 28, 2019 1:10 AM in response to csmosk

It is not Verizon. It is definitely the iPhone. I have a android Pixel XL (personal phone) setting directly beside my XS max (work phone) at all times and never drop/miss calls with the android.

This has been going on since November for me and I make and receive over 100 phone calls a day. They only permanent fix is to turn off LTE calling in cellular settings. Resetting network settings or rebooting works temporarily.

hop it is a software issue because but I have been waiting for a fix for 4 months and either apple doesn’t care or isn’t aware of the issue.

Apr 2, 2019 2:09 PM in response to jldanie

I have been to the Apple Store, Verizon Store and have open support tickets with both of them. I am currently on the phone with Apple again about this issue. They are having me update it again, want me to back it up and restore it. I'm thinking this isn't going to help. Does anyone on here have an issue with the new iPhone on a different network than Verizon? They keep blaming each other, but if others on different networks were having the same issue, that would narrow it down.

my iphone Xs Max keeps dropping calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.