Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I duplicate a photo? "Duplicate" menu item is greyed out.

I've lost the ability to duplicate a photo on Photos. The "Duplicate" menu item is greyed out. How can I fix this? command-d does not work either. I am running latest OS 10.14.1 (18B75) and latest version of Photos Version 4.0 (3411.5.190). Thanks in advance for comments/suggestions.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 24, 2018 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2018 12:20 PM

Where are you viewing the photos in Photos, when you try to duplicate the photo?

Some commands do not work, when you are viewing the "Imports" album or a Shared album. Duplicate the photos while viewing a the Photos view, or an album in the My Albums section of the sidebar.

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 24, 2018 11:03 AM in response to macruleswhyproblem

Do you have the iCloud Photo Library enabled and if you do is the storage on your Mac set to be optimized. If it is then that may be why you can't duplicate the photo as it's an optimized version.

Try the following; as a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some Photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

Dec 24, 2018 1:39 PM in response to léonie

Well, that's the answer. Thank you. I've been using Photos since iPhotos and I guess I never tried to duplicate a photo in the Imports folder before! That is what I was trying to do. I'm guessing Apple's reasoning was a logical thing. If you duplicate an imported photo in the import folder it wouldn't be an imported photo and thus logically shouldn't be in that folder. Mr. Spock would be proud.

Why can't I duplicate a photo? "Duplicate" menu item is greyed out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.