Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Pro 2018 misses certain key presses on the virtual keyboard

When I type on my 2018 iPad Pro virtual keyboard I experience not having certain key presses entered. The ‘g’ key is especially bad but I see the same effect with other keys. The key press will sound a click and darken as expected but the character does not get entered. It is especially bad with the keys in the center of the keyboard. Sometimes it takes up to three tries to get the key press accepted.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 24, 2018 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2018 12:22 PM

If you have had this new 3rd gen iPad Pro less than 14 days, bring it back to Apple for another new replacement iPad Pro.

If you have had this new iPad Pro longer, bring it into Apple and have them look at your iPad Pro and see what determination the store employees make.

Also, remember, you still have the option to purchase extended, two-year AppleCare+ within 60 days of your original purchase date.

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2018 12:22 PM in response to DavidLeibs

If you have had this new 3rd gen iPad Pro less than 14 days, bring it back to Apple for another new replacement iPad Pro.

If you have had this new iPad Pro longer, bring it into Apple and have them look at your iPad Pro and see what determination the store employees make.

Also, remember, you still have the option to purchase extended, two-year AppleCare+ within 60 days of your original purchase date.

Dec 25, 2018 1:46 AM in response to Megalon1112

The best you can is alert Apple to this growing issue.

The only way to get Apple to, DIRECTLY, listen to you is to use their feedback portion of their website.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple is made aware and starts working on a fix/solution for a future software update.

Also, you may want to phone contact Apple, directly in Cupertino, California, and calmly talk to an Apple customer service employee about this issue via the link below.

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Good Luck to You!

Mar 13, 2019 10:04 PM in response to KingKarma

The issue may not return right away with a new iPad Pro, but eventually it will unless Apple gets around to fixing issue.

The is an iOS 12 issue.

So, if the issue is still in the current versions of iOS, your iPad Pro touch screen issues will, probably, return, as well.

Nothing anyone can do, but wait for Apple to fix this issue.

So far, we are close to 20 postings about this issues with over 600 users of various iPad Pro model years experiencing this issue.

A small, but still growing minority of affected users.

We get, at least 1-2 posts about this unresponsive iPad Pro touch screen issue a day.

Post your feedback here to add to Apple's awareness of this issue.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Best of Luck to You!

Dec 25, 2018 8:27 AM in response to Megalon1112

Thank you Megalon1112! I now will proceed to try to get this serious bug acknowledged and fixed.

Thumb typing in portrait mode is what I mostly do so I am extremely frustrated. I have a Genius Bar appointment on he 27th. It should be amusing if we can see this horrible typing experience with every 11in device in the store.

Thank you MichelPM for the pointers to a pathway that might get action.

Dec 25, 2018 2:02 PM in response to DavidLeibs

Thanks for getting behind this, I really appreciate it! I already provided feedback via the Developer Forums and Developer Beta Feedback App.

I‘m quite sure it’s not even the keyboard, it’s actually all buttons or button-like objects near the „median“ horizontal axis of the iPad. But I’m still so astonished that this issue is not all over the internet, it’s a huge problem I my opinion.

Dec 26, 2018 1:58 PM in response to Megalon1112

Sadly I am typing this post on my iPhone.

I went to the Apple Store today and verified that every 11” iPad Pro there has the problem! I am keeping my “genius bar” appointment tomorrow so I can see how they handle this.

Let’s hope they can give us some assurance they are going to fix this “ironic groaner” of an issue. This is the kind of story one sees on CNBC and Bloomberg.

I would hate to have to go back in time to an 10.5 inch. I truly love this iPad. I do a lot of video processing with LumaFusion and really use the full power of the A12x bionic. I also produce lots of text and I am a thumb typing in portrait mode expert. I write computer programs with Pythonista on it. I believe am the poster child user for iPad Pro class of computer.

Dec 26, 2018 2:30 PM in response to DavidLeibs

I use my iPads all the time in Landscape orientation.

So, I never see this issue.

I am typing this post with my 1st gen iPad Pro in portrait mode, as a test, running iOS 10.3.3, and I am NOT, experiencing this issue/bug, at all!

So, this could very well be an iOS 11/12 issue/bug, similar to all of the other intermittent touch screen issues affecting iPad Pro models, as well as, 2017/2018, 5th and 6th gen 9.7 inch screen iPads.

Just another reason to keep my 1st gen iPad Pro on iOS 10.3.3, for the time being.

Dec 27, 2018 9:58 AM in response to DavidLeibs

I tried to add SwiftKey to see what that might do hoping that just adding it might sweep the problem under the rug. It is true that the missed center key phenomena does not show when using swiftkey but it still happens when using the stock keyboard.

Sadly, SwiftKey is suboptimal for me as I have grown used to flicking down to get the numbers and special characters.

Dec 27, 2018 10:51 AM in response to DavidLeibs

I also tried out SwiftKey last week, unfortunately for me the phenomenon persists: especially the letter „g“ is completely bugged out while typing with my thumb in portrait mode. Same holds actually true for a 3rd party calculator app I tried out, with a complete different numbers-only keyboard.

Can you please check again if you really can’t reproduce this issue with SwiftKey at all?

Dec 27, 2018 2:32 PM in response to DavidLeibs

I went to my Genius Bar appointment and demonstrated the problem. I also demonstrated it on the floor machines. They took me seriously and wrote the issue up to send along to the proper people. As expected, there is no tracking mechanism for us. The genius said we just have to wait for the next version of iOS and hope. We should refrain from turning this thread into a thread about Apples transparency issues.

IPad Pro 2018 misses certain key presses on the virtual keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.