Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad battery drains while off

I bought the new iPad in July and about once a month the battery will completely drain overnight while being completely shutoff. I looked at the battery activity and it appears the battery thinks the screen is on for 60 minutes every hour which causes the battery to drain. It happened last month after I charged it to 100%, turned it off and then the next day it was dead (I attached a pic of the battery activity from then). I thought maybe it was my case being closed too early and the magnet triggering the iPad to stay on so I took the case off but it happened again last night. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this to happen? I believe it would be something happening during the shut-off process to trigger it.

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Dec 25, 2018 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2018 12:59 PM

Hello kanyewesttml,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having trouble with battery life on your iPad. I’m happy to help. To start, I suggest reviewing this article:

iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

You mentioned that this seems to happen when your iPad is turned off. I’d try turning it off by tapping Settings > General> Shut Down to see if the issue persists.

Should the issue persist, I’d suggest reinstalling iOS. You can do so by following the steps in the article below under the section labeled “Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again”:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

While this shouldn’t remove any of the information on your iPad, it’s a good idea to create a backup before-hand:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Let me know if that helps.

Take care.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2018 12:59 PM in response to kanyewesttml

Hello kanyewesttml,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having trouble with battery life on your iPad. I’m happy to help. To start, I suggest reviewing this article:

iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

You mentioned that this seems to happen when your iPad is turned off. I’d try turning it off by tapping Settings > General> Shut Down to see if the issue persists.

Should the issue persist, I’d suggest reinstalling iOS. You can do so by following the steps in the article below under the section labeled “Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again”:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

While this shouldn’t remove any of the information on your iPad, it’s a good idea to create a backup before-hand:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Let me know if that helps.

Take care.

New iPad battery drains while off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.