Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to reactivate device, no longer own phone #, and don't have recovery key

I am trying to get back into my iPad after having issues with my appleid and can't remember the passcode. The account is now locked due to too many attempts. I have contacted support advising them that I don't have the Recovery key, no longer own that phone number, and I've read every support page there is on Apple's website. Now I've gone through restore mode and because my own appleid is still on the iPad, I can't even get pass the activation screen because it's still reading that old appleid. Please help!! I have tried everything! And yes, I tried attaching the code to use iTunes doing the restore. My iPad is now stuck at the Activation Lock screen "This iPad is linked to an Apple ID. Enter the Apple Id and password you used to set up this iPad. ci************.

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 25, 2018 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2018 9:10 PM

If you are the original owner, take the device, the original purchase receipt with the serial number, and a photo ID to the nearest Apple Store.

Genius Bar Reservation US

or contact Apple ID Support. They will need to see the original purchase receipt/paperwork also.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2) 

Apple Support by e-mail or chat         Select your device, Battery, Power and Charging, then Power adapter not working to get a chat option. 

Apple Support using Twitter

Or fill out and submit this form.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2018 9:10 PM in response to cicely16

If you are the original owner, take the device, the original purchase receipt with the serial number, and a photo ID to the nearest Apple Store.

Genius Bar Reservation US

or contact Apple ID Support. They will need to see the original purchase receipt/paperwork also.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2) 

Apple Support by e-mail or chat         Select your device, Battery, Power and Charging, then Power adapter not working to get a chat option. 

Apple Support using Twitter

Or fill out and submit this form.

Dec 26, 2018 6:14 AM in response to Eric Root

This is crazy...I bought this iPad forever ago, had house fire, moved and left Sprint which is who I got the iPad through. I'm sure I don't have the receipt but my original email and info is all related to my name on the device. This is ridiculous to have purchased a product and because they are trying to secure it, have flaws. This is not the federal government it's a dang electronic device! The sad part... the criminals still can get in and the honest user like me are sitting here with a worthless device.

Unable to reactivate device, no longer own phone #, and don't have recovery key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.