Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked screen

When I 'Wake' my Mac from sleep the screen and curser are locked. To commence work I have to restart and go through two requests for passwords. This started to occur after the last up grade to Mojave 10.14.2.

Any help would be appreciated.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 27, 2018 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 7:57 AM

Good afternoon Blackratty,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand your Mac is not waking from sleep properly. The resource below provides some information and troubleshooting steps you can try for this issue:

If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected

"If your Mac doesn't wake when you expect

Your Mac might pause a few seconds before it wakes up. If it doesn't seem to wake at all, check for these possibilities:

• Your screen brightness might be turned down.
  • If you're using an external display, your display might be turned off. 
  • Your Mac might be in safe sleep. To wake from safe sleep, press the power button.
  • Check for a sleep indicator light, if applicable, and make sure that your Mac isn't turned off.

If the previous steps don't work

These additional steps may help identify or resolve the issue: 

• Reset the SMC.
  • Reset NVRAM.
  • Disconnect external devices other than your Apple keyboard, mouse, and display. If that resolves the issue, gradually reconnect your devices, testing each time, until you find the device that is interfering with sleep. Then check the documentation that came with the device, or contact the device manufacturer.
  • Start up in Safe Mode to see if the issue is related to non-Apple startup items, login items, or kernel extensions. 
  • Try to isolate the issue by using another user account

If you still see the issue, contact Apple Support."

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2018 7:57 AM in response to Blackratty

Good afternoon Blackratty,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand your Mac is not waking from sleep properly. The resource below provides some information and troubleshooting steps you can try for this issue:

If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected

"If your Mac doesn't wake when you expect

Your Mac might pause a few seconds before it wakes up. If it doesn't seem to wake at all, check for these possibilities:

• Your screen brightness might be turned down.
  • If you're using an external display, your display might be turned off. 
  • Your Mac might be in safe sleep. To wake from safe sleep, press the power button.
  • Check for a sleep indicator light, if applicable, and make sure that your Mac isn't turned off.

If the previous steps don't work

These additional steps may help identify or resolve the issue: 

• Reset the SMC.
  • Reset NVRAM.
  • Disconnect external devices other than your Apple keyboard, mouse, and display. If that resolves the issue, gradually reconnect your devices, testing each time, until you find the device that is interfering with sleep. Then check the documentation that came with the device, or contact the device manufacturer.
  • Start up in Safe Mode to see if the issue is related to non-Apple startup items, login items, or kernel extensions. 
  • Try to isolate the issue by using another user account

If you still see the issue, contact Apple Support."

Take care.

Locked screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.