Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Read USB Drives Via Dell U4919DW Monitor USB Ports

I'm having difficulty getting my MacBook to consistently read USB drives when I plug them into my newly purchased Dell U4919DW monitor ports. The screenshots below demonstrate what is happening. The USB drive is not visible in the "Locations" in Finder. It is visible in the Disk Utility, however it shows up as greyed out and when I click on it, it never allows me to see the details. So something is being recognized, but I don't understand what is happening.

The Mac is connected to the monitor via one USB-C cable. The external drives are connected to the USB ports on the monitor. I have one older USB drive that is recognized every time. Peripheral devices are recognized and operational. Three of my newer USB drives are the ones not being recognized. Any advice or help is appreciated.

Information:

2016 MacBook Pro 13"

macOS Mojave 10.14.2

Dell U4919DW external monitor

Screenshots:

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 27, 2018 4:32 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Dec 28, 2018 6:13 AM in response to marino389

Update:

One of my devices going into the USB-A on the back of the monitor is my PreSonus AudioBox USB 96. While I thought it was working (because the light was on), I decided to test it today and found out that it isn't working properly. I recorded a small segment of audio while the USB-A was plugged into the monitor. The audio had a lot of static and my voice was distorted. I unplugged it and plugged it directly into the MacBook. The voice quality returned to normal.

So something is happening to distort the USB signal quality. Any help would be appreciated.

Unable to Read USB Drives Via Dell U4919DW Monitor USB Ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.