Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade iMac 21.5 mid 2011, 2.7 ghz intel core i5

After a helpful discussion in another post I have managed to make a little better the delay and be able to work at least

also it is concluded that it may help to upgrade Ram

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Apple/imac-(21*5-and-27-inch,-mid-2011)-imac12,1-12,2

anothe idea of mine is maybe if I add ssd it may help

so what do you suggest?

A) ram shall I add one or two of 4gb or 8gb better new ram and have 16 or 32gb or it is ok if I keep the old 4 go

and b) ssd

i look forward for your advice

Lena

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 1:29 PM

I would recommend upgrading the RAM to at least 16GB and to also have a SSD installed. The RAM you can do yourself, the SSD is better left to someone that is EXTREMELY comfortable working inside iMacs. My recommendation is to find a Apple Authorized Service Provider that will do the work, shouldn't cost more than $100.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2018 1:29 PM in response to LenaGR

I would recommend upgrading the RAM to at least 16GB and to also have a SSD installed. The RAM you can do yourself, the SSD is better left to someone that is EXTREMELY comfortable working inside iMacs. My recommendation is to find a Apple Authorized Service Provider that will do the work, shouldn't cost more than $100.

Dec 28, 2018 1:42 PM in response to LenaGR

Hi, I have a mid-2010 21.5 inch iMac and it is still running great. But yes, having said that, if booted and run from an external SSD, yes, it would be much faster than what you currently have. However, that is a bit of a project and more than a bit of an expense. Our machines are now "obsolete" meaning no new OS upgrades will run on our machines and we will be supported for a year or two on security upgrades. So, while this would be a "fun" exercise (that I was considering too) these machines are getting old and the hard drive will fail at some point (at this age, sooner rather than later is the expectation). Having said all that, the prudent thing to do is to limit the investment in these old Macs and upgrade to a new one when it makes sense.

Dec 28, 2018 5:34 PM in response to pokey b

Thank you pokey for your suggestion

you are right as it concerns the ssd since we do not have and authorized service

it is really not so good to hear from an authorization service that “sorry but you have to find an no authorized service! “

As it concerns I may change since it is still expensive a new Mac

but what I am wondering Is why we cannot upgrade the iMac? What changes shall we do to be able to

have the new iOS

regards

lena

Dec 28, 2018 6:22 PM in response to LenaGR

Our Macs (yours & mine) are so old that the software embedded in the chips does not support (will not run) the new versions of the more modern operating system versions. As mentioned by rkaufmann87, an Apple approved service provider may help if one is available locally to you to assist with an SSD upgrade.

Upgrade iMac 21.5 mid 2011, 2.7 ghz intel core i5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.