Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User upgradeable ram new iMac 2020

I am in the market for a new iMac to replace my Late 2012 27 inch iMac. 

I was wondering if the ram in these new iMacs is still user upgradeable?

I’ve been looking over on the Crucial website and it looks like it is, but I wanted someone who is more knowledgeable than me to confirm this.

This is the iMac I am wanting to purchase, but with the 1TB storage:

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/imac/27-inch-3.3ghz-6-core-processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-4.8ghz-512gb#

And this is the Crucial ram that I am thinking of getting and wanted to make sure it was the correct ram for the iMac I am thinking of getting.

https://uk.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/ct16g4s266m/ct19090499

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 10:59 AM

It sounds like you've done your homework. Good for you. Yes, ordering Ram from Crucial will work and likely save you money. Installation by you takes only about ten minutes. Also, be sure that the drive you order is a solid state drive (SSD) and you will be good to go. Enjoy.

13 replies

Oct 6, 2020 1:44 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

As you have been advised the RAM in 2020 27" iMacs is user upgradeable. Please closely look over the the photos below so you recognized which slots to install the RAM in. Slot 1 is the top slot, Slot 2 is next in line .......
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/4fb9ccf0-443e-4cba-b9c3-e3fa3253a2c2

Thank you that is very useful.

The ram I’m going to order will be either 2x 8GB or 1 stick of 16GB (not sure which to order yet).

Oct 6, 2020 1:38 PM in response to Ronasara

Ronasara wrote:

It sounds like you've done your homework. Good for you. Yes, ordering Ram from Crucial will work and likely save you money. Installation by you takes only about ten minutes. Also, be sure that the drive you order is a solid state drive (SSD) and you will be good to go. Enjoy.

Thank you. The iMac that Im ordering is SSD (as were all the 27 inch 2020 iMac’s).

Oct 6, 2020 3:19 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

Get the 2 x 8GB or 2 x 32GB, do not purchase a 1 x 16 or 32GB DIMM and install that. RAM is inexpensive now so do it right by installing in matched pairs.

Thank you that is very helpful. I’ll order the 2 x 8GB.

I can remember reading something about matched pairs, but I can’t seem to find the article now, with what it said was the advantage of installing in matched pairs?

Oct 7, 2020 4:24 AM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

Get the 2 x 8GB or 2 x 32GB, do not purchase a 1 x 16 or 32GB DIMM and install that. RAM is inexpensive now so do it right by installing in matched pairs.

i ordered the 2 x 8GB. You are right, ram is inexpensive now. £70 I paid over on Crucial website. I’m sure the last ram I got for my last iMac cost be around £100. Thanks again.

User upgradeable ram new iMac 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.