Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad vs iPhone keyboard layout; why is it different?

I recently bought an iPad (6th gen) and the number and symbol keyboard layout is vastly different from my iPhone. Both devices are updated to 12.1 and yet the iPhone has the question mark etc in the middle of the keyboard and the iPad has the question mark to the right, with a full stop under it. Re the iPad question/exclamation mark as well, why does it show both the fullstop/comma and the question/exclamation on 1) the letter keyboard, 2) the first number keyboard, and 3) the second number keyboard. The symbol doesn’t change and I have a very hard time discerning if I’m able to put a question mark or a full stop/etc

Sure I can click the shift key, but that’s not how I type on my phone, so my muscle memory is different and it’s extremely frustrating. Also no, I don’t want to use flick keys because it overloads my brain (I’m adhd) and I’m unable to concentrate. The changed layout also is also affected by that and I’m seriously considering returning my iPad because I can’t find anything online to be able to make it match up (aside from complaints about the emoji/symbol swap, which I was already using on my phone) because, again, both my phone and new iPad are updated to 12.1

My old iPad (4th gen) matches up to my phone and has always matched it. Why has it suddenly changed the keyboard layout and how can I change it back?

Have included photos below, thanks in advance for any help :)

First symbol keyboard

——————————

Second symbol keyboard

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Dec 29, 2018 3:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2018 1:56 AM

I do believe they changed the iPad display keyboard layout with iOS 12 (or possibly 11) to exactly that which happens to match that of the Apple Smart Keyboard for iPad Pro. Not iPhone, mind you. My compliments to you for bringing this up with comprehensive images for to let people know about this. Go on, then.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2018 1:56 AM in response to maxsplaining

I do believe they changed the iPad display keyboard layout with iOS 12 (or possibly 11) to exactly that which happens to match that of the Apple Smart Keyboard for iPad Pro. Not iPhone, mind you. My compliments to you for bringing this up with comprehensive images for to let people know about this. Go on, then.

iPad vs iPhone keyboard layout; why is it different?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.