Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pop-up

I was getting the pop-up "Apple wants to make changes" and asked for my password. I did not enter it but was told by Apple Support that the pop-up was legitatmate as I had not downloaded the latest Operating System and it was safe to enter my password. Was this correct advice?

Posted on Dec 30, 2018 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2018 2:47 PM

Greetings,

I commend you for not entering your password when you were presented with that request. Very often, I get a notification to install the latest OS on my Mac. I know that the notification is legit, because It is a suggestion and does not ask for any password. But, the way you described that pop-up, is the way that the bad guys try to sucker us to divulge our passwords to them. In my opinion, Apple should drop this way of suggesting that a user down load the latest OS, if indeed it was sent by Apple.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2018 2:47 PM in response to whittier1

Greetings,

I commend you for not entering your password when you were presented with that request. Very often, I get a notification to install the latest OS on my Mac. I know that the notification is legit, because It is a suggestion and does not ask for any password. But, the way you described that pop-up, is the way that the bad guys try to sucker us to divulge our passwords to them. In my opinion, Apple should drop this way of suggesting that a user down load the latest OS, if indeed it was sent by Apple.

Pop-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.