Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it normal to get a password prompt after clicking "Restart Now" for a Mac update in settings?

I'm wondering how one knows if a password prompt is legit or not when trying to update macOS. In this case, there's a flag in Settings that a software update is available (under Settings in macOS). When I click "restart now" a prompt appears that says "Software Update is trying to authenticate user" and requests a password entry.

Is this normal, and how can one tell if it is or isn't?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 3:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 7:59 AM

Yes, if you have initiated a software update in the Software Update panel or even with an individual app, then this is expected behavior since macOS wants to confirm you want these things to proceed. Anything that will affect the system areas of the drive (or anything located outside of your own home user folder) will have macOS prompt you for permission to proceed. I'm not sure how it works if you have macOS configured to automatically download & install updates.

If you have not initiated the action, then it may be some malware that has accidentally been download. Although some of your installed third party apps may prompt for permission to install an update (some apps do, while others update themselves automatically in the background with no prompts for permission).

Depending how you have macOS and the App Store configured, you may sometimes get prompted for your AppleID password to update apps installed from the App Store.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 7:59 AM in response to Samaga6

Yes, if you have initiated a software update in the Software Update panel or even with an individual app, then this is expected behavior since macOS wants to confirm you want these things to proceed. Anything that will affect the system areas of the drive (or anything located outside of your own home user folder) will have macOS prompt you for permission to proceed. I'm not sure how it works if you have macOS configured to automatically download & install updates.

If you have not initiated the action, then it may be some malware that has accidentally been download. Although some of your installed third party apps may prompt for permission to install an update (some apps do, while others update themselves automatically in the background with no prompts for permission).

Depending how you have macOS and the App Store configured, you may sometimes get prompted for your AppleID password to update apps installed from the App Store.

Is it normal to get a password prompt after clicking "Restart Now" for a Mac update in settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.