Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact Sync Issue

Some Contacts from Mac will sync to the Cloud in latest High Sierra while others won't. Worked with Apple support to follow steps in Get help using iCloud Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders, but problem remains. Notes and Calendars work fine. Calendars worked fine also, until a day or so ago. After the call, now I have multiple duplicates on my Mac and iCloud that the Merge function in Calendar won't resolve.

So what happened and how do I reliably get syncing to iCloud working again?

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 30, 2018 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2018 12:44 PM

So finally resolved the sync. Signed out again and re-signed in once again finally kickstarted the sync. Only issue was I had locally stored contacts from the iCloud for fear of losing everything. So duplicate contacts. Determined first by manual inspection the locally stored contacts contained my most recent edits. Went thru and exported all the locally stored v-cards and imported them to the iCloud, then they eventually resynced with the Mac. After which I was able to just delete the locally stored ones to get back to having only the iCloud as the source for my contacts across all devices. No one has been able to explain why High Sierra stop syncing only the Contacts in the first place, but at least I finally recovered. Need to keep an eye on this for a while. It’s a shame I can’t trust the OS after I make edits to make sure it’s still correctly putting contents in the cloud.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2018 12:44 PM in response to allensinmarietta

So finally resolved the sync. Signed out again and re-signed in once again finally kickstarted the sync. Only issue was I had locally stored contacts from the iCloud for fear of losing everything. So duplicate contacts. Determined first by manual inspection the locally stored contacts contained my most recent edits. Went thru and exported all the locally stored v-cards and imported them to the iCloud, then they eventually resynced with the Mac. After which I was able to just delete the locally stored ones to get back to having only the iCloud as the source for my contacts across all devices. No one has been able to explain why High Sierra stop syncing only the Contacts in the first place, but at least I finally recovered. Need to keep an eye on this for a while. It’s a shame I can’t trust the OS after I make edits to make sure it’s still correctly putting contents in the cloud.

Dec 30, 2018 7:55 PM in response to askbarnabas

Had done that once already. It resolves the duplicates but I still have an issue of not ALL fields in SOME contacts will update. If I edit them, then they sync properly so that’s the obvious workaround. Manually inspect hundreds of contacts and compare with ones in the iCloud and touch the discrepancies to force a sync. Until the next time Contacts decides to stop syncing with iCloud. Seems broke. Worked fine in El Capitan for last few years. Updated to High Sierra two weeks ago and suddenly Contacts stop working in the other day! Notes and Calendar continue to sync properly with all iOS devices.

Contact Sync Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.