Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PC windows 7, location of "iTunes Library 2018-09-18 Extras.itdb" is Desktop folder

I just noticed that "iTunes Library 2018-09-18 Extras.itdb" is on desktop. I suspect this is not the preferred location. I do not know/remember why it is there.

How to change/and/or move. And what is the correct location?

Stephen

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 7:58 AM

Typically iTunes files end up on the desktop when there is a permissions issue with the usual location. Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows - Apple Community.

The file name you've given suggests you have switched to using a library database backup in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder at some point. See Make a split library portable - Apple Community for help on getting the library back into a standard layout, then back it up.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2019 7:58 AM in response to stephen11962

Typically iTunes files end up on the desktop when there is a permissions issue with the usual location. Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows - Apple Community.

The file name you've given suggests you have switched to using a library database backup in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder at some point. See Make a split library portable - Apple Community for help on getting the library back into a standard layout, then back it up.

tt2

Jan 6, 2019 11:45 AM in response to turingtest2

I think I have missed something in your reply (or maybe you answered a different question). I spent some time trying to suss out the solution. I checked out the permission issue and I have permission as per the instructions.

I do not understand the 'split' iTunes library. If it is indeed split, that was not my intention > some kind of mishap/crash or gross misstep on my part. I thought I got things back together by changing iTunes Media folder location to “stephen\music\iTunes” That seemed to right things except finding the “iTunes Library 2018-09-18.itd” was still located in the Desktop folder.

I tried again today to restore my iTunes and only seem to have made things worse.

So, I have to ask again how do I consolidate the files and locate them where they belong. I am contrite and hopeful that I have not trashed my opportunity to make things right in my world. At this point I would even considering uninstalling/re-installing iTunes (saving all files created by iTunes) in an effort to get back to where I was. I do not know if that is even possible.

Sorry for the complications and many thanks to those who try to help people out of darkness.

Stephen

Jan 6, 2019 1:04 PM in response to stephen11962

Hi there,

Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes will have no impact on the state of the library.

Typically the media folder will be set to C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media.

Typically the ITL file will be located at C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl.

With iTunes closed move the .itl from the desktop into the iTunes folder and rename it as iTunes Library.itl. (Don't add the extension if is hidden. If there are any other library files on the desktop or an Album Artwork folder those can be moved into the iTunes folder too. If, for example, you have a file called iTunes Library 2018-09-18 Genius.itdb then it can be moved and then renamed as iTunes Library Genius.itdb. If you have existing files that would clash you add something like OLD to them.

Now start iTunes, it should complain that the library is missing, allowing you to browse to and choose the file that is in the correct location. Use Edit > Preferences > Advanced to reset the media folder.

tt2

PC windows 7, location of "iTunes Library 2018-09-18 Extras.itdb" is Desktop folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.