You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps not updating automatically on iPhone or iPad

This has never worked for me. I always have the option activated under iCloud settings. To my knowledge, it hasn’t worked since Apple came up with the option.

i even have cellular activated to download app updates via cellular connection. I’ve tried deactivating the option, restarting and activating again. Nothing works!

my iPad can sit connected to power for a week, I would open it and see 100+ updates on the AppStore.

why is this happening?

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 9:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2019 1:56 PM

I mentioned the cellular being activated as in I have the worse case scenario activated and even then the apps are not being updated automatically. I’m most of the time on WiFi and connected to power, which should be the ideal conditions for automatic updates.

Why has this never worked for me on any device? Is there any reason on the server side? It’s definitely not something on my end, I have all the right settings activated and I’ve tried everything from turning them off and on to reset an iPhone and start from scratch.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 5, 2019 1:56 PM in response to Leanne_68

I mentioned the cellular being activated as in I have the worse case scenario activated and even then the apps are not being updated automatically. I’m most of the time on WiFi and connected to power, which should be the ideal conditions for automatic updates.

Why has this never worked for me on any device? Is there any reason on the server side? It’s definitely not something on my end, I have all the right settings activated and I’ve tried everything from turning them off and on to reset an iPhone and start from scratch.

Jan 5, 2019 11:15 AM in response to Koramchad

Hello Koramchad!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I see from your post that your iPhone and iPad are not automatically updating via cellular connection.

Does this issue happen on Wi-Fi as well or only when connected to cellular data?

Take a look at this article called Turn on Automatic Downloads or App Updates and note the following:

"You can also turn Automatic Downloads on or off over your cellular network on an iPhone or iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular. Go to Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store and turn Use Cellular Data on or off. Cellular Data downloads are limited to a file size of 150 MB or smaller."

If the update size is more than 150 MB, your iPhone and iPad will not update any apps automatically unless it is connected to Wi-Fi.

Cheers.

Apps not updating automatically on iPhone or iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.