Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps will not update

Last night both my iPhone 11 Pro and my iPad Pro suddenly no longer update apps when trying to manually update apps in the App Store.

I have tried the following:

Completely Closed the App Store app and re-opened it.

Signed out of my iCloud account and signed back in.

Restarted the iPhone and the iPad,

My iPhone is running the latest version of iOS,

I tried updating my iPad to the latest beta software, and none of that has worked.

I have plenty of free storage space on both devices.

I have tried updating over cellular and multiple WiFi connections.

I have tried “clearing the App Store cache” by tapping one of the tabs 10 times (really can’t tell if it actually refreshes or not)

I have tried “reset all settings” in the General section of the settings app.

There are no screen time or app restrictions set.

I am using the correct iCloud account that was used to originally download these apps.

When I try to update an app it just spins for a few seconds or less and then just reverts back to the update button. I can download new apps just fine. The only way for me to “update” an app right now is to delete it from my device and then re-download it.

Does anyone have a fix for this? The fact that this happened across multiple devices, each on different versions of iOS on the same day makes me believe that this is an iCloud/Apple problem and not a hardware specific device problem.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 6:27 PM

Apple seems to have pushed out a fix for this and apps seem to be updating again! You have to tap update a few times to get it to work, but I can confirm across my iPhone, iPad and Mac that apps are now updating.

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to bring this to Apple's attention, and thanks Apple for fixing this! 🎉

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2019 6:27 PM in response to kurisub

Apple seems to have pushed out a fix for this and apps seem to be updating again! You have to tap update a few times to get it to work, but I can confirm across my iPhone, iPad and Mac that apps are now updating.

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to bring this to Apple's attention, and thanks Apple for fixing this! 🎉

Nov 14, 2019 9:08 AM in response to kurisub

I'm having the same issue, on my iPhone 6S Plus and it started at about the same time. I've tried the same things as you, along with trying a few others:

1. Rebooted my phone a few times.
  2. Updated to iOS 13.2.2 (I was running iOS 13.1.2 until this morning).
  3. Signed out of the App Store and signed back in.
  4. Tried 3 different networks (home, work, and cellular).
  5. Reset my network settings.
  6. Hard reset (Home Button + Power Button)
  7. Checking my iPhone storage (I have 10+ GB free).

Only thing different I did yesterday/last night was download an update for something I was testing on TestFlight. I noticed this morning when I opened TestFlight that I was presented with a splash screen as if it had updated. Maybe it's some interference with TestFlight? One other person who's having this issue reported that he doesn't have TestFlight though, so that theory might be debunked pretty quickly.

Nov 14, 2019 5:00 AM in response to kurisub

I’m having the same problem as of this morning. I have 21 apps that have updated on my iPad and 11 on my iPhone and I can’t update any of them. The update icon spins and then changes back to update. It was working earlier since a few apps on my iPhone show as having been updated today.

There’s a thread about this over at MacRumors.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/merged-ios-13-2-2-app-updates-stuck-on-waiting.2210793/

Nov 14, 2019 10:34 AM in response to JoshDaBrinkley

I actually reproduced this on an iPhone 5s running iOS 12.4.3.

i also reproduced it after signing out of iTunes/App Store, restarting my device and the going to the App Store and trying to update apps.

As such, I have no idea what the problem is. I found a work around, which is to offload an app, and then download it again. That will update it without losing data, but I had one app continuously crash on launch after doing that. I had to delete that app and download it again.

I contacted Apple, who wasn’t aware of any issues, but the person said she opened a ticket with engineering.

Nov 15, 2019 10:40 AM in response to Morac

I'm having the same problem. It happens on my iPhones, my iPad (all running 13.2.2) as well as a MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6. I tap the Update button, the spinner appears for a second, then it comes back. I tried both cellular and WiFi.

I reported it to Apple today and they seemed to have no idea about it and reported that there are no outages, so they kicked me up to a senior advisor, but his only suggestion was to report it to their "Product Security" team via email, which I have done.

Hopefully this will eventually get their attention. There was an App Store outage last week that was regional which they also didn't acknowledge, but was fixed in a few hours. It had to do with a certificate mismatch (I could see it happening in the Console app and told them about it, but they were very skeptical because I was not running Catalina).

Nov 20, 2019 5:25 AM in response to Morac

I too am having the same problem. I am expecting a call this afternoon from Apple. They need to talk to engineering after their senior tech was unable to figure out what is going on. What i did notice in terms of the dates.... one app said it was updated yesterday. I know for certain it was updated 2 days ago, not yesterday. I vividly remember installing it, trying it out and then removing it because i did not like it. That was on Sunday. Yet on Tuesday it said yesterday. So perhaps there is an issue with the date and time. I checked my phone and it was set to auto time, but even when i set it to manual, nothing changed.

The same problem is occuring on my iPhone 6. Which leads me to believe that the problem is likely to be something on the Apple side and related to my Apple ID. Why else would both of my devices be displaying the same issue.

I can of course delete the app and then download it again and i will have the latest update, but that is not a solution as a lot of my apps have data associated with it and i do not want to lose that data.

I recall this happened to me about a year or so ago and it took a week and it eventually started to work again on its own.

Perhaps when Apple calls me back this afternoon, after talking to engineering, I will have some answers or something else to try.

Nov 20, 2019 6:07 AM in response to Davy_ray

Apple's Product Security team got back to me and told me that I should use regular product support to handle the issue - yes, the same team that handed me off to Product Security.

I've found and posted that you can still update your apps, if desperate, using a Mac and the Apple Configurator 2 app, but you have to use the "Add" option (not the Update option) and choose to overwrite the existing app. You won't lose data. However, this doesn't help if you have MacOS apps that won't update.

It appears to be something to do with Apple accounts, not the devices themselves. It also seems to be closely related to accounts that have used Test Flight to make a sandboxed in-app purchase.

There's a lot of buzz about this bug, but so far there's been no word from Apple.

Nov 21, 2019 2:28 AM in response to kurisub

Hi all.

I wanted to share my experience and how I solved this issue on my end.

So after updating to 13.2.2 and 13.2.3 on my Ipad and iphone 8, I wasn't able to download new or update existing apps. I came across the same error message as people posted here.

This is what worked for me, for future reference:

I used CloudFlare DNS which is 1.1.1.1

When I replaced it with my ISP's DNS, the problem is gone.

All my iOS devices are able to update without issues.

If I place 1.1.1.1 again, the problem comes back again.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Gil.

Apps will not update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.