Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow MAC

Would anyone please be able to tell me if updating my RAM is worth it, in a MAC as old as mine? My etrecheck report states :

EtreCheck version: 5.1 (5020)

Report generated: 2019-01-04 17:24:54

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 8:42

Performance: Below Average

Sandbox: Enabled

Full drive access: Disabled

Problem: Computer is too slow

Major Issues: None

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems. 

Upgradeable RAM - This machine has upgradeable RAM that would help its performance.

Out of RAM - This machine is running short on RAM and has a mechanical hard drive, reducing the speed of the virtual memory system.

Clean up - There are orphan files that could be removed.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. They appear to be legitimate but should be reviewed.

Low performance - EtreCheck report took over 5 minutes to run. This is unusual.

Vintage hardware - This machine may be considered vintage.

32-bit Apps - This machine has 32-bits apps that may have problems in the future.

Abnormal shutdown - Your machine shut down abnormally.

Limited drive access - More information may be available with Full Drive Access.

Hardware Information:

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) - Vintage!

iMac Model: iMac11,2

1 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 (i3) CPU: 2-core

4 GB RAM - Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0 - Empty 

BANK 1/DIMM0 - Empty 

BANK 0/DIMM1 - 2 GB DDR3 1333 ok

BANK 1/DIMM1 - 2 GB DDR3 1333 ok

Video Information:

ATI Radeon HD 4670 - VRAM: 256 MB

iMac 1920 x 1080

Drives:

disk0 - ST3500418AS 500.11 GB (Mechanical - 7200 RPM)

Internal SATA 3 Gigabit Serial ATA

disk0s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB

disk0s2 - Macintosh HD (Journaled HFS+) 499.25 GB (442.34 GB used)

disk0s3 - Recovery HD [Recovery] 650 MB

Mounted Volumes:

disk0s2 - Macintosh HD 499.25 GB (56.64 GB free)

Journaled HFS+

Mount point: /

disk1s2 - i****s 362 MB (108 MB free)

Mac OS Extended

Disk Image

Mount point: /Volumes/i****s

disk2s2 - E***N 161 MB (26 MB free)

Mac OS Extended

Disk Image

Mount point: /Volumes/E***N

disk3s2 - G**P 241 MB (32 MB free)

Journaled HFS+

Disk Image

Mount point: /Volumes/G**P

Network:

Interface en0: Ethernet

Interface en3: iPad

Interface fw0: FireWire

Interface en1: Wi-Fi

802.11 a/b/g/n

Interface en4: iPhone

Interface en2: Bluetooth PAN

System Software:

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G4015) 

Time since boot: About an hour

Security:

GatekeeperEnabled

System Integrity ProtectionEnabled

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 11:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2019 11:19 AM

Your machine should have an absolute bare minimum of 8GB of RAM, 12 or 16GB would be better. Only purchase RAM from Crucial.com or Macsales.com. Why these vendors, simple! iMacs are very fussy about RAM and demand high quality RAM. Both vendors supply high quality products at reasonable prices and provide excellent service.

Also, I agree the computer would benefit by installing a SSD and using the HD for just storage. The best method of doing this, is buying a SSD (again I'd recommend macsales.com) and put the SSD in an enclosure. Then open Disk Utility on the iMac and format the new SSD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) GUID partition. Next get a copy of SuperDuper! cloning app, you can use the free version and clone your HD's content to the SSD. Next install the SSD into the iMac (you can find detailed instructions on www.macsales.com) . Once the SSD is installed then turn it on while holding down the Option key, select the new SSD and let it boot up. Then open System Preferences - Startup Drive and select the SSD and you should be done.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the SSD installation yourself, contact a Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area to do it for you, the cost should be roughly $100 USD.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2019 11:19 AM in response to Inbetween22

Your machine should have an absolute bare minimum of 8GB of RAM, 12 or 16GB would be better. Only purchase RAM from Crucial.com or Macsales.com. Why these vendors, simple! iMacs are very fussy about RAM and demand high quality RAM. Both vendors supply high quality products at reasonable prices and provide excellent service.

Also, I agree the computer would benefit by installing a SSD and using the HD for just storage. The best method of doing this, is buying a SSD (again I'd recommend macsales.com) and put the SSD in an enclosure. Then open Disk Utility on the iMac and format the new SSD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) GUID partition. Next get a copy of SuperDuper! cloning app, you can use the free version and clone your HD's content to the SSD. Next install the SSD into the iMac (you can find detailed instructions on www.macsales.com) . Once the SSD is installed then turn it on while holding down the Option key, select the new SSD and let it boot up. Then open System Preferences - Startup Drive and select the SSD and you should be done.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the SSD installation yourself, contact a Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area to do it for you, the cost should be roughly $100 USD.

Jan 5, 2019 11:04 AM in response to Inbetween22

Based on my experience, upgrading to a solid state hard drive will speed up your machine far more than a RAM upgrade. I've done this with multiple vintage laptops and desktops, and it makes them feel like new.

4 GB RAM is not a lot, especially for running the newest OS, but it should be sufficient.

A specific example: I still use a 2007 MacBook Pro, which shipped with 2GB of RAM and OSX 10.5 Leopard. It's now running 10.11 El Capitan (the latest for that model). When I upgraded to 10.9 Mavericks, the machine bogged way down, so I upgraded to 4GB of Ram, and saw very little difference. Then I moved to a solid state drive, and this little old laptop revved back to life. It still outperforms much newer computers that don't have SSDs.

I have since performed similar upgrades for family members, and they are very happy. It is all about the SSD.

The hard part is getting one in a 2010 iMac. My dad has the same model, and I think you have to take the screen off to get to the hard drive. But if you're up to it, that is the upgrade you need to revive your iMac. I think almost anyone who has experienced the difference will agree.

Hope this helps...

-Theoden

Slow MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.