Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Admin permission revoked?

I got a new error opening Indesign yesterday, that said I did not have permission to access the preferences folder.

No biggie I thought, so I went to the library and opened the info on the folder to give myself permission.

I was able to unlock the lock but strangely enough, my username as admin is not on the list. It does have system (read & write), wheel (read only) and everybody (Read only).

Concerned, I went to the library folder to look at the situation there, and it was the same. My username as admin is not listed. Interestingly, on unimportant folders like 'pets' I do see myself listed as a user and I can change permissions there.

I created screenshots to document this challenge to put in front of the community, but everytime I try to upload an image here through chrome browser, it crashes. There are a few other funny things going on, like a trash can that is reluctant to get emptied, and the preview of downloads in my dock only shows an outline of files where it usually displays small thumbs. I just got back from a holiday break and I seem to remember I upgraded to High Sierra just before we left, so I am wondering if something went wrong there.

Any tips would be highly highly appreciated as I live in a remote area with no genius bar around and I have to make a living using Indesign so not being able to access it is a big deal... Thanks!

Powerbook

Posted on Jan 4, 2019 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2019 8:19 AM

Bootup holding CMD+r, or the Option/alt key to boot from the Restore partition & use Disk Utility from there to Repair the Disk.

Similar questions

1 reply

Help! Admin permission revoked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.