Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac freezes after startup

My Mac Pro is using OS Mojave 10.14.2. Startup looks odd (too quick) and then Mac freezes after a minute or so. Usually unfreezes after 5 minutes and then ok. How can I fix this?

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 4, 2019 4:10 AM

10 replies

Jan 5, 2019 9:16 AM in response to CT

Ran EtreCheck. Not sure what to make of the result, it didn't shout out 'here's the problem'. But it did note the check took 5 minutes, unusually slow. Unsure how to upload the report. Still flummoxed but as before Mac working perfectly once the seizures are over. Did wonder if McAfee had anything to do with it; last couple of months it compulsorily opens Safari (which I don't use) on startup and it seems to be failing to auto update. Haven't been able to find any way to stop Safari opening; could this be screwing up the startup protocols?

Jan 5, 2019 10:34 AM in response to moorhen

You can copy the etrecheck report to the clipboard then paste it here using the additional text thingy (icon at the bottom of the edit window looks like a page with writing on it). In the meantime, yes, McAfee could be the culprit. Rule of thumb is all anti-viral protection stuff is prone to causing system problems.

Jan 6, 2019 2:05 AM in response to CT

I removed McAfee and then found and deleted an old citrix plug-in (I thought I had got rid of citrix ages ago). So 2 changes at once instead of one at a time... Restarted and the problem had gone. So then I have reinstalled McAfee and fingers crossed another restart has gone fine. I still get the annoying compulsory opening of Safari (I now know McAfee is doing that) but at the moment it looks like it was that citrix plugin causing the problem. Why that should creep out of the woodwork like that who knows? If the problem comes back I'll junk McAfee and try some other online security. Thank you very much for taking the time to help me through this; hopefully someone else will benefit too.

Mac freezes after startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.