Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to connect a Thunderbolt 3 adapter into a USB-C port via another adapter?

I recently bought an Apollo Twin Duo MKII (super powerful audio interface) to use with my 12” Retina MacBook (early 2015 that has a USB-C port, not a Thunderbolt 3 port). I was told by both the company I purchased the interface from AND Apple that that I can connect the Apollo (the only possible line out is a Thunderbolt 2 female connection) with a Thunderbolt 2 cable and run that through a Thunderbolt 2-to-Thunderbolt 3 adapter into the USB-C port on my Mac... I tried that, unsuccessfully.

I was wondering if there is ANY possible way to make this happen through a chain of adapters or converters? I can’t seem to find anything online or anybody with a similar issue. I don’t mind spending a little bit of money if need be, but I really am wondering if it’s just not possible..

TIA!

Posted on Jan 4, 2019 12:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2019 9:07 PM

Exactly what Kappy said.

All Thunderbolt 3 cables have USB-C connectors. Note that this is just the connector itself though it doesn't mean that the rest of the cable is the same.

Ordinary Thunderbolt 3 cables (i.e. cobber-based) also work as USB-C cables. In this manner they are compatible. If you are using an Optical cable, though, it will not work. Try a different adapter or a different TB2 cable. the solution you were given to use a TB2 > TB3 adapter was correct.

You can purchase a TB2 > TB3/USB-C adapter from the apple website

Even though 3rd party companies may provide the compatible cables and adapters, the most optimal equipment to use for Apple products are the ones that Apple sells themselves.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 4, 2019 9:07 PM in response to karledwards

Exactly what Kappy said.

All Thunderbolt 3 cables have USB-C connectors. Note that this is just the connector itself though it doesn't mean that the rest of the cable is the same.

Ordinary Thunderbolt 3 cables (i.e. cobber-based) also work as USB-C cables. In this manner they are compatible. If you are using an Optical cable, though, it will not work. Try a different adapter or a different TB2 cable. the solution you were given to use a TB2 > TB3 adapter was correct.

You can purchase a TB2 > TB3/USB-C adapter from the apple website

Even though 3rd party companies may provide the compatible cables and adapters, the most optimal equipment to use for Apple products are the ones that Apple sells themselves.

Jan 4, 2019 1:02 PM in response to karledwards

An adapter will not convert a TB2 output port to TB3. If the adapter you tried did not work then you can either try a different adapter or give up. Akitio makes such an adapter but although I know it works with SSDs I have no way to test it on an audio system. The price isn't too high - about $70. You will find them at Amazon or direct from Akitio They were just acquired by OWC.

Jan 4, 2019 8:15 PM in response to Lanny

They are, however, USB-C 3.1 ports capable of 5Gbps and can be used with TB1 or TB2 or TB3 compatible devices since the connectors are the same. I have several devices connected to that port on a 2016 MacBook and a 2018 MBA. They run faster on the latter than the former. The MBA does support TB3 up to 40Gbps and USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 up to 10Gbps.

That said the 2015 and later MBs have the USB-C 3.1 port that uses the same TB cables. It's easy to think of those as TB ports instead of high speed USB ports.

Jan 4, 2019 10:23 PM in response to Lanny

Yup... After doing some research it looks like the interface’s only line out would be a TB2 cable, which with an adapter can be changed to TB3 like I have. My MacBook has a USB 3.1 G1 port that only supports up to 5Gbps of data transfer, 1/4 of the TB2’s max transfer speed. I was just hoping there would be a converter (rather than an adapter) that could use resistors to decrease data transfer speeds to match the USB 3.1, but I don’t know too much about that stuff.

Is it possible to connect a Thunderbolt 3 adapter into a USB-C port via another adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.