Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can no longer download photos from Canon SX50HS to I-photo

I have had my Canon camera for several years and have always easily downloaded photos to I-photo on my I-Mac. I simply connect the camera to the computer and open I-photo. The option is given to me to download photos and to choose which ones. Tonight I followed the same procedures and the I-Mac is not recognizing that a camera is attached. Therefore it is not giving me the option to download photos. Any idea why?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 4, 2019 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2019 2:38 AM

I still have no idea why I have been able to download directly from the camera for the last several years with no problems but last night I couldn't

Which system version do you have installed? Did you upgrade to Mojave? Or what else has changed?

Downloading from a camera can be problematic, if the battery in the camera is low, or the mode switch is set incorrectly, or some of the software you are using is incompatible.

The next time you cannot import directly to iPhoto from the camera, launch Image Capture to check, if it is only iPhoto, that cannot access the camera.

But using the card reader makes importing much easier. Does your iMac not have a built-in card reader slot? All iMacs I owned had a card reader built in. Or does the card from your Canon have a different format and does not fit into the slot?

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2019 2:38 AM in response to devrock7

I still have no idea why I have been able to download directly from the camera for the last several years with no problems but last night I couldn't

Which system version do you have installed? Did you upgrade to Mojave? Or what else has changed?

Downloading from a camera can be problematic, if the battery in the camera is low, or the mode switch is set incorrectly, or some of the software you are using is incompatible.

The next time you cannot import directly to iPhoto from the camera, launch Image Capture to check, if it is only iPhoto, that cannot access the camera.

But using the card reader makes importing much easier. Does your iMac not have a built-in card reader slot? All iMacs I owned had a card reader built in. Or does the card from your Canon have a different format and does not fit into the slot?

Jan 12, 2019 7:20 PM in response to devrock7

I used a Weme card reader that I have had hanging around for years, with no idea what it was for. Used it on the card that I could not upload my 600 images of a recent visit to the Amazon River. I hooked it up directly to an available USB port on my iMac, and I was able to get the job done. I have no idea why it is taking so long to complete the import, but I am glad it worked. Something Apple did with iPhoto and recent upgrades to the Sierra OSX probably screwed things up. I wish they would fix this bug so that I could upload directly with the software in iPhoto on the iMac.

Jan 13, 2019 12:48 AM in response to Toot

Something Apple did with iPhoto and recent upgrades to the Sierra OSX probably screwed things up. I wish they would fix this bug so that I could upload directly with the software in iPhoto on the iMac.

More like the card needs reformatting. You do this with your camera (it's an option in the menus.) As a general rule it's the best way to clear a card and keep it in good condition.

Going forward: The Sierra OS is three years old and superseded twice over, and iPhoto hasn't been developed or sold for almost four years now, having been replaced by Photos.pp so there will no updates to that either.

Jan 13, 2019 8:35 AM in response to Yer_Man

So, in effect, my iMac OSX, which is at the end of the line, and unable to accept operating system upgrades, has reached the end of its support to users. This is telling me that I need to buy the newest and latest iMac. This brings in the question as to what Apple is doing to support new desktops, since it has done nothing in the past several years to bring out new and dynamic improvements to its desktop line. The once great Apple that I have known is starting to rot at its core.

Jan 13, 2019 4:06 PM in response to Yer_Man

I did reformat. Rather than reformat my card (which has 600 images from a trip up the Amazon river) and erasing them all, I put in a separate card, reformatted it, took a few pictures, and attempted to upload them - with the same result - unable to because of invalid data or other problem. The problem exists with my older iMac, which is running on High Sierra 10. 13.6, which after the last upgrade or update, is unable to conform to the new Photo application (after the old iPhoto application). There is no workaround, or fix right now. The Apple Creative Development people are going to call me later to discuss the issue. I'll see where it goes from there. If there is no fix, I may have to purchase a new Mac Mini, which could resolve future issues when my desktop is again so old that it is beyond support.

Can no longer download photos from Canon SX50HS to I-photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.