Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XR screen scratches easily

I have had my XR for 1 week. I ordered a screen protector and between the time I got the phone and installed the screen protector, I noticed small surface scratches. I am EXTREMELY careful of my phone. I did not carry it in my pocket until I got the case and screen protector. I left the plastic protector that the phone was delivered with until it finally fell off after a few days. This is my 4th iPhone and I must say I have never seen the glass scratch so easily. Quality issues? The new Apple? Anyone else notice the diminished durability?

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 5, 2019 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2019 1:07 PM

Yes, this is very similar what happened to my XR. I brought it home and was going to put the screen protector on it when my 10 year old (who was obviously very excited to see the new phone) took it in his hand and put my iPhone 6s Plus on top of it to compare the size. And lo and behold - a scratch (a significant one at that) appears on the XR screen out of thin air.

Extremely disappointed in the quality - I have been carrying around my iPhone 6s Plus forever without a screen protector and there are no scratches on the screen whatsoever.

Very very disappointed in the quality control (if there is any to begin with) for this phone.

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2019 1:07 PM in response to JanisG1

Yes, this is very similar what happened to my XR. I brought it home and was going to put the screen protector on it when my 10 year old (who was obviously very excited to see the new phone) took it in his hand and put my iPhone 6s Plus on top of it to compare the size. And lo and behold - a scratch (a significant one at that) appears on the XR screen out of thin air.

Extremely disappointed in the quality - I have been carrying around my iPhone 6s Plus forever without a screen protector and there are no scratches on the screen whatsoever.

Very very disappointed in the quality control (if there is any to begin with) for this phone.

Feb 21, 2019 12:37 PM in response to JanisG1

After a couple weeks of normal use, my iPhone XR showed quite a few small scratches on a couple sides of the screen. My phone now shows significant scratches all over the screen. I never had any issues like this with my previous iPhone. I am definitely disappointed with this and if there is anything Apple could do to address this issue that would be great!

Mar 15, 2019 6:37 PM in response to JanisG1

I have had my XR for about 2 months now. I have not stopped saying to people that I think this phone's quality is trash. The screen has SO MANY scratches on it from daily use. I had my iPhone 7 for over 2 years without a screen protector and the screen was NEVER as scratched as this! This is absurd. It's obvious they are using cheaper materials or just failing to check quality control. Oh, sorry, am I supposed to keep my phone in a velvet pouch and with a thick screen protector on it? Can I not place it in my pocket or purse? This is ridiculous.

Mar 23, 2019 4:12 AM in response to JanisG1

Too many comments/ 'I have this question too' counts here plus comments on other boards for there not to be an actual problem with at least early batches of XR screens. Several years of iphone 6 with no screen protector or case with no issues and then day 1 of XR (before screen protector arrived) and a 1.5" scratch to top right of screen appears. Seen comments elsewhere asking if XR screen made of butter!

This issue, lack of smaller small form factor iphone and other issues is bringing me close to leaving the Apple fold after many years.

Come on Apple... silence around this issue can only mean 1 thing.

May 6, 2019 2:45 PM in response to JanisG1

I’m afraid I have to agree. Although I think the XR is a great phone in most ways, I already have two scratches on the screen after a few months. I never got any noticeable scratches on any of my 4 previous phones. I’ve never liked screen protectors and never used them. I’ve just put my other phones in my pocket with my keys, etc., no problems. I got the first scratch on the XR with a week of owning it, so I’ve been more careful with it. I recently noticed a second scratch! Yikes! Starting to worry! Is it plastic?

Jul 20, 2019 8:46 AM in response to JanisG1

ive had the exact same problem. I’m not one to be rough with my phone at all, and I’ve had many many apple products, but never once experienced so much scratching on the screen. It seems like every time I pick it up it has a new scratch. Some deeper than others. The other day I put both my phone, and my friends phone in my pocket, and low and behold, my phone came out with a scratch that might aswell just be a crack, and his phone came out fine (he has a 6, and I have an XR)

Jul 20, 2019 9:17 AM in response to AdamSage7

My brand new iPhone Xr screen scratched on day 1. Then, the screen scratched again on day 2. On day 3, I went to the Apple store and purchased the $40 Belkin screen protector and it was installed in the store by Apple using a special applicator tool. Since then, it's been about 6-weeks and there is NOT one scratch on the screen protector. It seems to me, the screen protector is more durable than the Xr screen. I am so disappointed in my Xr's screen.

Jul 26, 2019 5:01 PM in response to JanisG1

Finally a thread about the latest flagship phones. I had the xs , xs max, 4 xr’s. ALL SAME PROBLEMS. I don’t have scratches or hairlines, however right exactly where you would place your thumb to scroll, bottom right, started off with a tiny dot.... pinhole sort of micro chip. Then as a few days went on, there was 3 more tiny little chips exactly where I would position my thumb. Now I’m concerned. I am the most OCD person. My phone never ever comes in contact with anything. It’s in a ziplock bag for work (don’t want fingerprints on it) then held and used like a baby. I switched to the xs.... same. Same spot. Same everything. Now xr.... 1st one, 3-4 days, same spot same thing. 2nd 3rd and now my 4th ( 3 days old) just noticed a pinhole starting in the exact same spot. Coincidence???? No wayyyy. Nope. No. Seriously aggravated with this. Seems like the screens are extremely sensitive to even a finger touch. 6 iPhones. All same exact problem. Now I’m left with one xr with a tiny pin dot which by experience, will worsen. Then lead to bigger chips just only by simply touching it. There is nothing touching the phone other than regular use. So, to come to conclusion, scrolling in the same spot on any new iPhone will chip/spot your phone. Period.

Jul 27, 2019 2:41 PM in response to MrThumbs

Yeah it’s very strange. Again, these “dots” are not scratches. They are tiny pinholes almost invisible unless you look closely. But enough to be bothersome. The funny thing is that a .99 cent screen protector I’ve been using is stronger than the actual phone screen. And it’s always in the same spot. Right where I would use my right thumb to scroll

Aug 8, 2019 6:11 PM in response to JanisG1

I am having the same problem! I have had iPhones for several years and never had a scratch on the screen...I currently have about 6 scratches on my new XR! Very disappointing...Also read some threads from back in 2018 of people saying the same thing. I am going to get a screen protector and hope that they become less noticeable. Regardless there is some sort of quality issue with the new phones.

Aug 9, 2019 1:54 AM in response to zleger

Yeah that’s crazy. Again, I don’t have scratches, I get tiny pin dots and micro chips where I would position my thumb when scrolling. All my new iPhones do it within 3 days of brand new. Screen protectors totally hide it but shouldn’t have to use them because I don’t like them. If anyone is looking for super cheap and good quality..... a 3 pack of Tethys edge to edge from amazon works awesome. They’re super cheap but never had any problem.

XR screen scratches easily

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.