Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Receiver can't hear me properly on iPhone Xs, says sound is "muffled"

I'm having BIG trouble with the sound on my new iPhone Xr

I constantly get complaints about the sound quality from those I talk to during phone calls.

The receiver can't hear me properly when making phone calls, they say the sound is "muffled" or if I'm speaking from very far away.

I've Googled this and it seems that I'm not the only one experiencing this issue on both iPhone 8, and iPhone X.

I've tried everything:

• Cleaning the microphone and speaker parts
  • Reset network settings
  • Reset all settings to factory defaults
  • Complete OS reset through iTunes, installing iOS version 12.1.2 (build 16C104) from scratch
  • Turn off LTE, Bluetooth and Noise cancellation
  • Hard Reboots

Nothing helps!

The ONLY thing that fixes the sound at the receiving end is if I turn on the phone speaker.

Then magically everything sounds crystal clear to the receiver...

I have no problems recording sound through the microphone, the sound is fine, and also when turning on the phone speaker during a call still means I'm using the SAME MICROPHONE, so the problem can't be the microphone alone.

If I use a Bluetooth headset, the sound also works as it should, so it can't be carrier related.

So I'm unable to have a "normal" conversation with the iPhone Xr using the built-in speaker (holding the phone to my ear) without my voice getting messed up at the receiving end.

I need to contact the place I bought the phone and try to get it replaced, but I've read that it isn't easy getting it replaced based on these conditions, and even those that have gotten a new phone experiences the exact same problem on the new one...

What to do?

iPhone XS

Posted on Jan 5, 2019 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2019 11:34 AM

This problem seems to have been fixed by getting a new SIM card from my operator.

No idea how a SIM card can produce these issues, but I no longer get complaints from recipients not hearing me, or that I sound "muffled" or distorted.

So, I hope it lasts! A new SIM card was the solution in my case...

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 5, 2019 1:55 PM in response to csederqvist

Examine your case. If it covers or comes near to the noise cancellation mic on the back of the phone near the camera, or if you have a portfolio case that you flip around to the back of the phone when on a call so it covers or otherwise obstructs that mic that will explain what you are reporting. Similarly, if your hand or shoulder covers that back mic when you are on a call. It's not a problem on speakerphone because the back mic is not used. Neither is it used for sound recording. The real test is to remove the case entirely and see if that resolves the problem, or to be careful about how you hold the phone.

Receiver can't hear me properly on iPhone Xs, says sound is "muffled"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.