Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV won't login to icloud account

APPLE TV

Model: MC572LL/A

Serial Number: C07FFS57DDR5

I am trying to get my Apple TV to connect to my iCloud account... Several attempts after rest... account login is correct... and I get a prompt on my computer (attached screenshot) but the Apple TV tells shows me "The account name or password was incorrect. Please try again" ...

Posted on Jan 6, 2019 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2019 12:28 PM

That is a 2nd gen. When using 2 factor authentication on an older model you need to enter the password and code together, and there is a time limit. To make the best use of that time request the code after the password has been entered.

6 replies

Jan 12, 2019 1:58 PM in response to vazandrew

I've got the same model, running 6.2.1 - the most updated (and final) OS for that generation.

Personally, I'm entering the iCloud password, pausing, requesting the code via iPhone, adding the 6 digits to the end of the password, and then submitting - in attempt to avoid the assumed 30/60 second time limit for the two-factor code.

That said, I still get the "try again later" message every single time I attempt it.

The last time I was trying this same method over and over (and it also never worked) was on an old Gen1 that I inherited from my father (I just wanted to use it as a music streamer - airplaying from my iMac and only connecting speakers - for the dining room) and was informed by Apple that there is ZERO support for the original Apple TV, which won't accept the 6-digit add-on password to sign in for home sharing.

And now - back to the ATV2 - when trying to get photos to appear in the screensaver, I tried to sign out of iCloud on the ATV... which was obviously a huge mistake, as it appears that the ATV2 is in the same boat as the ATV1, and no longer allows sign in due to two-factor authentication.

Apple TV won't login to icloud account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.