Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does a file __A_ mean or do

I recently updated my 2011 MBP 15" with a Samsung SSD. It hesitates during boot up and I am looking for reasons why. The norm is that it Stops half way through, asks for my password, then flashes straight into full screen.

the file __A_ appears as a zero bytes Text Edit file in the Logs folders.

What causes this? Should I delete it?

It is using High Sierra

Applemany

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 7, 2019 4:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies

Jan 7, 2019 11:02 AM in response to ColinY

That's a file that's been created locally, and whether it can be deleted or not depends greatly on what created it and what's using it, and the existence of a file with that name is unlikely to be related to a bootstrap that pauses part-way through due to the introduction of an SSD device into the configuration.

A prompt for a password during the bootstrap is usually FileVault, unless there's something else specifically associated with this Samsung SSD, or something that's been added locally.

Contact whomever sold you the SSD and/or installed the SSD, and ask for assistance.

Jan 7, 2019 12:39 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for that, the A file was evidently created with text edit. It stands alone between folders and can easily be deleted. I didn't think it was itself halting the boot!

Filevault is busy encrypting a lot since I put the ssd in. There were no problems doing it and I was supported online during and after the installation. I will ask that support for advice.

My concern is more about the prompt for the password is more that the progress stripe is not by any means completed when the screen goes black and in a few moments perhaps 5 or 10 seconds, the password prompt comes on screen. I enter it and it goes direct into the screen. No problems thereafter.

Your thoughts are welcome and again thanks

ApplemanyUK

What does a file __A_ mean or do

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.