Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(such-and-such file) ... will damage your computer - solution

I had a persistent issue with this popup and followed all of the steps in a question titled the same as this one: (such-and-such file) ... will damage your computer

I removed all of the library entries referred to with no positive result.

Ultimately, I installed Intego Software's anti virus and anti malware software. I ran the antivirus and anti malware module which detected several "threatening" files and isolated them. A reboot of the MacBook proved the popup no longer appeared.

I really didn't want to do a full restore even though the MacBook is fully backed up. I hope this helps others.

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 6:11 PM

Glad it worked for you. I don't thnk any of the regulars here would recommend installing a third party antivirus app. MalwareBytes is often recommended in the case of malware. MalwareBytes should be run manually and only when malware is suspected.

7 replies

Jul 10, 2022 6:01 PM in response to bradvp

bradvp wrote:

I had a persistent issue with this popup and followed all of the steps in a question titled the same as this one: (such-and-such file) ... will damage your computer

I removed all of the library entries referred to with no positive result.

Ultimately, I installed Intego Software's anti virus and anti malware software. I ran the antivirus and anti malware module which detected several "threatening" files and isolated them. A reboot of the MacBook proved the popup no longer appeared.

I really didn't want to do a full restore even though the MacBook is fully backed up. I hope this helps others.

I agree with BobTheFisherman above.

Look for an official uninstaller pkg— if in doubt search the developers website:Support/Help/FAQ/uninstaller/etc

Third party AntiVirus is not recommended— it typically does nothing but add issues to the macOS and competes directly with Apple’s own built in security:

macOS - Security - Apple macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/security/protecting-against-malware-sec469d47bd8/web

you can read more as a refresher:

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

Jul 10, 2022 6:33 PM in response to bradvp

Recommending on a broad basis that people install unnecessary software which can damage or, at a minimum, create a mess, is a questionable idea. The OS is now contained in a non-accessible, read only volume for security purposes. This means that any app that needs access to the system is unable to do so. Instead, it will use up resources needlessly and possibly creating a mess trying to access the system.

But, it's your computer and you are free to do with it whatever you wish; however, recommending installation of questionable software is not a good idea.

FYi, that popup is not an "issue". It is actually Apple's way of telling you their security is working. You can bypass that warning, but it i s recommended to heed it.

Jul 11, 2022 6:56 AM in response to bradvp

The message you received was from GateKeeper, the Keystone MacOS anti-malware and security feature.

GateKeeper tries to keep you from marking "Bad Stuff" as "ok to execute". It was trying to tell you the item you were attempting to make executable was not 'notarized', was not signed by an Identified Developer or you had not provided specific information that this particular item was "known good" and you wished to install it anyway, regardless of consequences, but following the approved process.

WHAT FILE is mentioned in the message is of Utmost importance, and your query should not be about the general case. In General, such files should be discarded, just as the message suggests.

There are methods to make specific files that you wish to trust executable anyway. But this is NEVER the general solution. Each case should be dealt with specifically, on its own merits.

Depending on what file is being called out, resolution of this problem differs. If the file is unknown to you, it is essentially an attack, and your Mac is fending it off. If the file is known to you, but is from an Unidentified Developer, but you have reason to Trust the security of your computer to this software, there are documented methods in Apple articles to allow specific unidentified items to be marked as executable.

--------

Tossing Library files in the Trash has never been a solution recommended by Apple for this issue.

Installing third-party so-called virus scanners is a great way to bork your system, using up untold amounts of resources scanning for things that might be "threats" (whatever that means) and halting your computer when such a dubious "threat" is encountered, anywhere -- even as a stray pattern in a compressed graphics file.

If you got such advice (either to drag library files to the Trash or to Install Third-party Virus scanners) from a discussion on this forum, please provide a link to that discussion. I would like to ask the Hosts to flag or remove any such advice on the grounds that it is may be destructive or dangerous.

The approach you are espousing -- installing and using third-party virus scanners -- in NOT a recommended solution by anyone except third parties who profit from scaring you into installing their junkware.

(such-and-such file) ... will damage your computer - solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.