Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flickr uploading no longer supported in Photos and Mojave?

My option to share to Flickr is gone. Do I need to buy third-party extensions now? Or do I have to duplicate photos into a new folder and upload them separately? That would mean I now lose all the metadata I have spent hours and hours editing in Photos. FlickrUppa was great for iPhoto, but it looks like Apple has killed Flickr integration with the "Photos"/Mojave update. Manual uploading involves massive duplication of files and effort. Any recommended solutions out there which *retain title, description, location, and all other metadata*?

Posted on Jan 8, 2019 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2019 3:18 PM

Apple has killed all integration to outside photo display and social media sites. You'll have to wait until Flickr creates and makes available an extension to work within Photos for uploading. Until then you can go to Flicker site and thru your browser go to Media ➙ Photos and select the photos from your library. Or you can export them to the Desktop and access them there.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2019 3:18 PM in response to Willo

Apple has killed all integration to outside photo display and social media sites. You'll have to wait until Flickr creates and makes available an extension to work within Photos for uploading. Until then you can go to Flicker site and thru your browser go to Media ➙ Photos and select the photos from your library. Or you can export them to the Desktop and access them there.

Jan 9, 2019 10:42 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you. I did try that first, and if I export photos to a different folder and click those options and then use the Flickr uploader, the metadata successfully goes with it. But just like dragging and dropping or copying anything from Photos, none of the metadata is retained from Photos when selected from a "choose file" dialog box.

But it works if I export the photos first. However, I am trying to avoid such duplication of effort and space. This method also changes the kind and sometimes messes up the photo order and does not work for video clips. It also does not like photos with the same title, and Apple killed batch title changes with numbers for unique identification. Before the "upgrade" I could export events into their own Flickr Albums with a single keystroke. Until someone can sell me a Flickr extension for Photos (how I yearn for a FlickrUppa version for Photos), the "solution" appears to be:

• Edit photos in Photos
  • Arrange in photos into albums
  • Export photos to a different folder on the hard drive
  • Fix duplicate file names, order of photos
  • Change from Photos to Safari and navigate the web menus to upload to Flickr
  • Create a new set on Flickr and add the recently added uploads
  • manually edit and add video files, rearrange them using the web organizer
  • delete duplicate folder on the hard drive
  • repeat

(10-20 minutes)

Previously:

• Command-E
  • Click or name a set
  • Return

(5 seconds)

This is a workaround, but it takes a *ridiculous* amount of time compared to ⌘-E. It's adding actual hours.

The photo editing tools may be better in Photos than it in iPhoto, and it can handle a larger library, but it has been three or four years now and Photos still doesn't have some of the basic functionality of iPhoto: dark background, sort by newest, arrange like photos with each other and specifically exclude others (without creating albums), tab to next title when entering data, useful batch editing...

I'm trying to avoid leaving the ecosystem all together but all the professional advice I'm getting is to bail and pay for another app/service.

My frustration is that is is not that "Flickr has not provided an extension" as much as "Apple removed an essential feature with their update."

I do appreciate your help though!

Jan 9, 2019 9:48 AM in response to Willo

Run this test:

1 - export a photo from the library to the Desktop with this settings:

The JPEG Quality can be anything you'd like for size considerations.

2 - open the file with Preview and check the EXIF and IPTC metadata to verify it's in the file.

3 - upload to Flickr as you did previously and check to see if the metadata is intact. This will tell us if it's Flickr or Photos that's doing the stripping of metadata.

If the photo in Flickr has its metadata you may have to export all your uploads to the Desktop this way until Flickr provides an extension to work with Photos.

Jan 8, 2019 8:50 PM in response to Old Toad

Well, it seemed like a good idea and I tired that. It strips all the metadata from Photos photos. I would have to spend another seven hours manually editing titles, descriptions, and tags in the Flickr editor.

Apple needs to restore the share option. I never would have "upgraded" to have my workflow destroyed.

I don't like the idea that I have to export a thousand photos to the hard drive, then upload them in order, then delete them, then repeat. It doesn't sound like a solution but does sound like necessary wear and tear on the hard drive.

Jan 9, 2019 10:46 AM in response to Willo

The problem is that the metadata added in Photos is contained in the database files. They are only included in the files when exported with those options checked or when the original files are exported with an accompanying XML file which contains the metadata.

Until Facebook offers an extension/app that will extract the include the metadata with photos you'll be stuck with the export to the Desktop method.

Jan 10, 2019 5:03 PM in response to Old Toad

I believe Flickr was bought by SmugMug not Facebook (I have no interest in sending file to FB). Regardless, Apple photos used to export photos to Flickr with all of the metadata intact. (For me, as recently as two weeks ago.) The recent update removed this feature. I shouldn't have to wait for Flickr to come up with an extension as Apple already had the functionality in place in the Photos app. (And has had it in place for years, including in iPhoto.) In the software update Apple *removed* this function. Hence my frustration. I would not have allowed the update had I known.

Flickr uploading no longer supported in Photos and Mojave?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.