Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy a link on google image search

Hello!

I would like to copy the URL of the result page of google image search. This is actually more difficult than expected!

I am going to explain this with two screenshots:

I open Safari -> type google.com -> i am searching for "Apple" -> I hit "Images" -> I See a whole range of apple logos. This is the page I want to send to a friend.

Right click on the magnifying glass in the address bar -> Copy

This is the link which gets copied:

https://www.google.com/search?q=apple&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjN3tX3z-HfAhUFJ3wKHbXwBtcQ_AUIDygC&biw=1939&bih=1278

Here are the results in Safari and Chrome when opening this above link:

Safari:

Chrome:

These are two different pages! Chrome shows the correct page, however Safari is is not showing what I want.

Can someone explain what is happening here?

Thanks,

Bernhard

edit: I additionally just found out that when clicking on the above link you get to the right page. when copy and pasting it into the URL field you get another page. Its a weird behavior.

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 9, 2019 4:52 PM

14 replies

Jan 10, 2019 10:53 AM in response to Bernhard Walzl

I just copied the link and pasted. Google showed the right page.

If you have not done this already, please try these standard troubleshooting steps.

Go step by step and test.

1.  If Safari is slow, stops responding, quits unexpectedly, or has other issues

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203353

2. Delete Caches and test.

Close all windows and quit all applications. 

Hold "option" key down and click "Go" menu in the Finder menu bar.

Select "Library" from the dropdown.

Library > Caches > com.apple.Safari 

Right click the com.apple.Safari file and select "Move To Trash.

Close windows and relaunch Safari

3. Remove Cookies and test.

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and other website data:

Click the “Manage Website Data” button.

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/manage-cookies-and-website-data-sfri11471

It will take a while for cookies and caches to load.

Remove all cookies except  ones from Apple, your internet service provider and banks.

4. Delete com.apple.Safari.plist file and test.

Backup the Mac. 

Empty the Trash.

Quit all applications.

Hold the option key down and click the "Go" menu in the Finder menu bar.  

Select "Library" from the drop down.

Choose the List view in the toolbar.  

Library > Preferences >  com.apple.Safari.plist

Right click on it and select "Move it to Trash".

Restart.    Relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

If this doesn’t help, “Put Back” the com.apple.Safari.plist.

Right click on  the Trash icon in the Dock and select “Open”.

Right click on the com.apple.Safari.plist and select “Put Back”.

When the dialog appears, click the”Replace” button in the dialog.

Jan 10, 2019 10:38 AM in response to Bernhard Walzl

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Jan 10, 2019 10:48 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your answer. There is no need to paste any log information. This is a reproducible behaviour/error which I just confirmed on several macs in different configurations.

Just copy and paste the link above in Safari and then any other browser. You get different results.

Even clicking on the link as well as copying and then pasting will produce a different result.

Jan 10, 2019 10:59 AM in response to dominic23

I was puzzled when I saw the screenshot. More testing revealed that also the way you paste the link is important:

When you right click on the address bar and hit "Paste and Go" you get to the right page.

However, when you click once left first to highlight the text whatever is written in the address bar and then do a right click and "Paste and go" you will get a different result.

Jan 10, 2019 4:17 PM in response to Bernhard Walzl

Bernhard Walzl wrote:

You aren't able to get this on your mac?

I have tried this on about ten different machines at work and at home and they all behave the same.

No. I double clicked the link to open it, it opened apple page, not the Google search page.

Copy and paste

Tested by control clicking the link and choosing "Copy Link" from the contextual menu.

Tested by control clicking the link and chose "Copy" from the Edit menu in the menu bar.

When I tried to past in the search bar, "Paste and go" menu option appeared.

Jan 10, 2019 4:40 PM in response to Bernhard Walzl

Please don't laugh.

I don't use keyboard shortcuts for input or navigation except Force Quit, to get to Recovery HD, Safe Mode,

taking screen shots, esc key and option key sometimes.

Probably I am lazy, that is why I am not able to develop robust muscle memory.

I am sure, when you click the magnifying glass icon it will show the Google search page sometimes.

Best.

Copy a link on google image search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.